News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

silly season on ebay

Started by nursesue, March 08, 2013, 09:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nursesue

is it me or are ebay nurse badges prices on the rise?? I fancy a badge only to get outbid double what i offered?? There has been some really nice stuff on lately and have gotten a couple that I really wanted and am eyeing some current pieces but am wondering how much it will cost me I know its an auction and wil be outbid but some prices are at "OMG" state.
Anyone want to guess on what the boxed tommies will fetch?? or even the Lodon hospital set. i wonder what some of my rare scottish badges would get  - don't panic they're staying safe in a cold, wet and possibly snowy Fife - but you do wonder!!! ??? ::)

Sarah Rogers

Yes the odd badge has been going mad..that south downs one, and the royal free this week ( abig hospital, surely there are a few even from a small window of time around?)  but some havent gone anywhere i thought they would.... that poor nighti ngale is damaged..but lovely box!
Lizzie

backman

Must admit that I didn't see what prices these badges reached but it is yet another case of supply and demand.I agree that there appears to be little reason behind the prices some items fetch if you look at the rarity alone.I mean St Thomas' was a major school and awarded hundreds ,if not thousands of badges over the years,so witnessed by the regularity of them appearing for auction they aren't actually that rare.So why the big price tag? Admittedly a beautifully made badge from a highly respected school but are they worth 3 times or more the recent City of London RMPA prize badge? Or even the Princess Christina's Army Nursing Service badge which went for a bargain price of £150,a fantastic item which can probably be researched to one of the first army nurses to serve in South Africa( I should have gone higher but am trying to be sensible!)
There are still bargains to be had but whilst rarity and quality are major factors in final prices,there is still something about sheer wantability of a badge and in the end it comes down to the same old fact that a badge is worth whatever one or more people are prepared to pay for it on the day.Watch out for more overpriced badges coming soon!!!!
Did anyone here win the gold and silver Stewart Memorial medals from Fieldings auction on Saturday? I would love to know which hospital they came from?

nursesue

ah pete your badges are nver overpriced and am wondering are you listing again soon???? I agree it is wantability but some prices still amaze me. A Nottingham uni went for about £80 and now there's another one gone. Some badges go for high prices and suddenly loads appear - but I still like to watch and have a punt and yes even find the odd bargain

markwatson

hi lizzie the nightingale badge went for £205 +post thought it would have went for more the damage must have held it back maybe one day i will own one  :)

Sarah Rogers

i thought that was good.for that Nightingale (Sally sold a box for £150 some time ago..my badge has none) ..but the nightingales damage was bad..with no pictures of the back . but have you seen the london hospital pair..£173 and 12 hrs to go!  --and some sets started at 100 people... although others seem to have only had very few...so there should be stacks of badges out there...as Peter said £150 for that lovely Princess Christian seems cheap!..relatively speaking ..... theyve gone for more before!
The damage on the ones at St Thomas on display is quite bad..many have damage, but they look great althogether..but no boxes!
Lizzie

barrysutton

I've had my Princess Christian's badge since 1984 and it cost me £25, does anyone know where the roll for these badges is as they are all numbered on the back?

Sarah Rogers

myk1066

nursesue

the London and GNC went at an "OMG" price of £213. i was surprised to see how low the tommies went for - even though it was damaged. Think the next "flyer" will be the Welsh medal from ger-y-llan who has had some real stunners of late. 3 of which headed my way and a few more that didn't!! He's just listed a real stunning Southampton - oh where did i put my lottery ticket? Just too many temptations and not enough funds even more now that I have to pay anoterh 1% towards my supperannuation...............................................

Sarah Rogers

Some more silly season prices...a leeds for over £100, and  another for over £65...am i missing something , what mkes them so special?... is it just the  early regsitration date of the owner? 
Lizzie

nursesue

I was surprised at the midwife badge considering there are another 2 for sale - it did look in great condition. It could just be new buyers.... the Leeds wasn't that rare as have also seen that before but I did like the Scunthorpe but resisted as I knew somebody who wanted it

backman

Pipped at the post yet again! There seem to be a lot of collectors after Welsh badges and prepared to pay over the odds for these.As it is one of the few areas I intend to still collect I will just have to grin and bear it.Market forces is the term I believe?

Sarah Rogers

yes but always murphys law also....i find theres 1 i want theat i pay a lot for and then another goes for less...that whitchurch went for stacks!
Lizzie

rogartdog

I too have noticed the seemingly increased prices on ebay.
I see, for example, just today; the price for the Royal Infirmary Edinburgh 'Pelican' badge is already over £20, and it has just been listed. I know it also has the Scottish RGN badge with it, but you wonder what price it will reach at the end of the week.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk