News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Yet Another Is it isn't it?

Started by backman, October 19, 2015, 09:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

Any suggestions as to whether this is a Nursing ? Hospital Item.Silver named and dated for 1930-34.The owner wants to ID it if possible. My closest guess to two hospitals geographically linked might be Leominster or Ludlow and Hereford General Hospital but once again I might have it completely wrong!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/backmanmal/22283429772/

nursesue

I have seen this badge before but can't think where. Old age doesn't come alone -poor memory loss

wilfb

Hi,

Likewise.... But take heart Sue, as long as you know that you have forgotten something all is well.  When you don't know that you can't remember there is a problem.

It does look like a hospital badge though....

Sorry,
Will.

caro7b

It does look like a nursing badge and like sue I am sure I have seen it before, but I don't think it's Hereford. Hereford uses uses a "bull" emblem, (yes obvious I know) and being a bit local for me I know all three of those towns use some sort of heraldic lion. Would love to know tho.

caro7b

And you have two Hereford badges on your site, one with no emblem and one with a corn grinding OR Apple grinding stone. Nothing like this.

backman

Looks less likely to be Hereford.Other options for a HGH are Hampstead,Hove,Halifax,Hexham or Horton.

caro7b

caro7b

I wonder what the emblem on the shield is. Can't quite make it out.

caro7b

Hove coat of arms has a (very elaborate) ship on it

backman

Well I am 99% sure that I have it identified but until I have it nailed I better not speak too soon???

backman

As it is now heading in my direction I can confirm that it is indeed for Lymington Hospital in Hampshire.The HGH did have me stumped but I have found that it was affiliated,for training,with Hampstead General Hospital in the 1930s.It was later to become part of the Southampton's Hospitals Group. I used to enjoy browsing the antiques shops and street markets of the town when I lived in the area.

caro7b

nursesue

I also have one named and dated 1958 - possibly Sheffield area

backman

I have had this definitely identified as being the Northern General Hospital Sheffield.Others however assure me it was for the Newnham General Hospital Liverpool so take your pick?

nursesue

the seller also thought it was for the Northern General - nice badge and a good price so am a happy bunny

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk