News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

St Marys Hospital SRN training

Started by tmaccull, July 13, 2007, 08:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmaccull

Hi,
I have just discovered this site so wish to add my brief story. I now live in New Zealand and am a senior lecturer in the health studies faculty of Auckland University of Technology. I commenced my SRN training in 1966. At the time I lived on the Isle of Wight so lived in at St Marys Hospital, Cosham, in the male staff quarters. I have very fond memories of what I believe was an excellent training. I recall a delightful Sister Bishop who was in charge of ward B3. the genitourinary ward, and later a Sister Hallibone in the same ward. As students we were well supported while in the wards and the tutors were equally very supportive. A Mr Morris was one tutor who certainly went the extra mile for a small group of us students by providing personal small group tuition for some months as we worked towards state exams. He had a saying that I often remember which was....'and the worthy shall be rewarded'........I hope his efforts were rewarded because he was a fine role-model. My memories of my training are that the theory blocks were generally well related to the clinical experience and I always felt well supported when on night duty. As I now sometimes teach in a university nursing degree program I am very aware of the advantages of my own training. When I graduated in 1969 I worked at St Marys as a staff nurse for a while before commencing my RMN training...an eighteen month training, at Whitecroft Hospital which was part of the Royal Isle of Wight School of Nursing.
I do have names of fellow students that I could post if that would be helpful.
Anyway enough for now.....I do hope this site flourishes and is of interest to many....thank you to those who have initiated the project.
Best wishes from Hamilton, New Zealand.
Tony MacCulloch

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk