News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

RCN Archives

Started by backman, April 23, 2014, 11:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

I thought it might be useful for members to see the recent correspondence I had regarding the the badges held by the RCN both in their Meglaughlin archive and also in their general collections

As a moderator for the website www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk I am often asked for pictures of nursing badges from our members.Whilst we have our own pictorial archive of several thousand badges from members collections there are always going to omissions and gaps as no National archive of such items yet exists.Clearly the cataloguing of the Meglaughlin collection by Edelweiss James would be of help,but to my Knowledge has only resulted in the printed Clip file version? Are there any plans to add the catalogue images (which already exist) to be available online. I am sure that if these were available if would generate much interest and discussion from collectors and historians .We may even be encouraged to donate our own pictorial images for use in your own archive?

many thanks

Peter

The helpful response I received today,is that whilst the Meglaughlin collection was itemised by Edelweiss James and images produced in a clip file,the copyright for these remains with Edelweiss,and the RCN have no images of these electronically to put on line. They are extremely limited for archive staff and concentrate on cataloguing new acquisitions as they come in,particularly as part of personal histories.Anyone who wants an image of a badge they might hold or of which they may hold a photograph or design is welcome to contact us them any time. They can scan badges as requested as part of their enquiries service and if we want any for our website they are happy to provide them.

I hope that this helps members who are seeking particular queries in relation to researching badges?

I also understand that they have received a number of items into the archive from the collection of the late Fran Biley.

Sarah Rogers

Hi, they have always been more than helpful when I have contacted them- and supplied a couple of pictures for me to use- good to know about Fran Bileys bequests- we redid our will and I have left a few to the RCn and the London- so do they want someone to recatalgue them, for the RCn, what a great job!
sarah

myk1066

Hi
Very interesting.  Is Mr James still around & can he be contacted for a copy of said clip file list?  Who do you contact specifically at the RCN for information re badges?  Are they actually interested in receiving pictures of badges from members so they can add to an archive?
Regards
Mike

backman

Edelweiss is actually a she,and she probably has the largest collection of Nursing Badges in the UK.She and her partner developed a programme to catalogue the Meglaughlin archive and did originally intend to market it,but I am unsure what happened  to that idea.I know that her original intention was to publish a history of Nursing badges but I am unsure how this is progressing,She does still purchase items as many members know to their cost but does not participate in our general chats.I don't know if other members are in communication with her but I know I greatly look forward to her finished work when it does appear.
There are a number a contacts at the RCN Archive,but their Archive Operations manager is Fiona Bourne and I found her to be very helpful. If you are an RCN member I can recommend their History of Nursing Society having been a member for many years.

http://www.rcn.org.uk/development/library_and_heritage_services/library_collections/rcn_archive

myk1066

I do apologise for the gender mix up.
Should there be a national archive held by the RCN & made freely available to any interested party.  What do we all think?

barrysutton

I would wholeheartly agree to that as I'm not an RCN member and my job isn't in there remit.

wilfb

Hi.

Edelweiss is also a contributor (2 articles) to our 'collections' pages:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Articles/EdelweisJBA1.htm

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Articles/EdelweisJBA2.htm

I will certainly pass any email address of people requesting contact to her, providing I can give a reason, but not a message.  That way Edelweiss has the option to respond or not - maintaining her privacy. I cannot guarantee that she will reply and will not repeat emails passed on except her request.

I will certainly draw her attention to the posts on this particular topic - although she may already be aware of course.

Best regards,
Will.

Dianne

As far as I am aware, you do not need to be an RCN member to contact their archive which is held in Edinburgh.  They have an increasing amount of information available on-line and have been supplying the various objects and documents for the exhibition cases at RCN headquarters.  Their web-site is www.rcn.org.uk/archive, happy searching.

Dianne

Sarah Rogers

HI- no you do not, I contacted them several times when I was not a member, and they were most helpful- emailing me a picture of a badge etc, and it was them that suggested I join the RCN History soc- as a retired member of the RCN, it is only £10 to be a RCN member if you are retired.
Sarah

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk