News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Dunham massey WW1 Hospital-recreated

Started by Sarah Rogers, January 24, 2014, 10:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah Rogers

Hi, I have just read about this in the NT's magazine; it looks amazing, the NT have recreated Stamford Military hospital, as it was in the house in Ww1- a visit beckons!
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/dunham-massey/
Sarah

Magpie

Hi Sarah.thanks for posting this,would love to visit but Cheshire a bit far away. My collecting passion is for WW1 nursing medals awarded to military/Red Cross/VAD nurses and their histories. some of the documemtataion with the medals is amazing, these women had real guts volunteering to go into the unknown and with the Red Cross and VAD's very basic nursing care knowledge with which to face horrendous injuries to nurse and dreadful conditions to live in. Photographs I have collected always show them in immaculate uniforms! There were so many military hospitals set up in stately homes and houses. I have been around Highclere Castle (Downton) near me which was one and also stayed in a little Tudor hotel near my son in Pinner which when I looked in the hall had a plaque stating it was a WW1 military hospital, amazing with all of its stairs and cubby holes and small rooms!

Sarah Rogers

AND THE nurses medals always go for so much more than the non nurse medals...  It is rather far from us, but it is close to Liverpoorl and i might be going there in june/well should be, to RCn congress; I was awarded the Monica Baly bursary for one of my modules, but what with a hospital appt that week and managing energy levels etc i am not sure, but it does look good. There were several war hospitals near here in Tunbridge wells- blocks of flats etc now.

backman

It is indeed a finding topic for study.The sheer number of casualties and the different types of hospitals meant that these were widely spread across the UK.There are some excellent sites which list these and If anyone wants to add these do please feel free; I'll start with this one; http://www.1914-1918.net/hospitals_uk.htm

Sarah Rogers

It looks like they are recreating it very authentically; makes one appreciate the sacrifec that all made during the great war.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk