News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

London County Council Hospitals

Started by myk1066, September 24, 2013, 11:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

How many of the LCC hospitals were there & did they all issue badges, does anyone have the complete set?
I know there are variants of the badges, some with white enamel to the centre, some plain silver & whilst they were predominantly enamelled in blue I have seen plain silver.  There are gold ones but were there gold for each hospital?  Were they awarded to EN's as well as RN"s?  Does anyone know of any other  variants?
Mike

backman

Hi Mike, I love the  LCC Badges and off the top of my head I have an idea that there were just over a 100 different hospitals taken over in 1930.I do have a book which lists them all but am away from home till the weekend.I believe that you have a plain silver version and I have a gold one which I assume we're both prize medals.I also have a version with a silver edging from St Mary Abbott Hospital which may also be a prize medal but I,m unsure. I only have around 30+ in various conditions but I suspect other collectors must have many more.

backman

The book in question is London County Council Hospitals,A Retrospect.Published 1949
There was a copy available on Abebooks.

myk1066

Just found this from an abstract of the said book.  'Under the Local Government Act of 1929 the were 98 hospitals brought together under the auspices of the LCC'
I wonder if they all had their own badges?  That would be some collection!

backman

Here goes;The finding gives particulars of the hospitals transferred to the London County Council on 1st April 1930

Archway(formerly Holborn and Finsbury Hospital)
Bethnal Green
Dulwich(FormerlySouthwark Hospital)
Fulham
Hackney 1 & 11
Hammersmith (1and 11 now amalgamated)
Highgate
Lambeth (1 & 11 now amalgamated)
Lewisham
Mile End
New End
Norwood Children's
Paddington(formerly Paddington Infirmary)
Queen Mary's Hospital Sidcup
St.Alfege's(1&11)
St Andrew's(Poplar)
St Benedict's
St.Charles(formerly S.Marylebone Hospital)
St Clements(formerly City of London Union Institution)
St Francis(formerly Constance Road Institution)
St George in the East(Stepney)
St Giles
St James'
St John's
St Leonard's
St Lukes
St Mary Abbots(1 & 11)
St Mary Islington
St Matthew's (formerly the Holborn City Rd Institution)
St Nicholas(formerly Plumstead & District Hospital)
St Olaves(formerly Bermondsey and Rotherhithe Hospital)
St Pancras(formerly St Pancras South Hospital)
St Peter's(Whitechapel Hospital)
St Stephens(westminster)

From the Metroplitan Asylums Board

Brook
Eastern
Grove
North Eastern
Northern
North Western
Park
The River Hospitals
a.Joyce Green
b.Long Reach
c.Orchard
South Eastern
Southern-Upper
             Lower
South Western
Western

Tuberculosis Hospitals and Sanatoria

Colindale
Grove Park
Heatherwood
High Wood-For Children
King George V Sanatorium(Godalming)
Millfield (Littlehampton)
Pinewood Sanatorium
St Georges Home
St Luke's(Lowestoft)
Goldie Leigh
Princess Marys(for Rehabilitation)(Margate)
Queen Mary's (Carshalton)
St Annes Home(Herne Bay)
The Downs(Sutton Surrey)
White Oak(Swanley,Kent)

Hospitals for Sane Epileptics

St David's(formerly Edmonton Epileptic Colony)
St Faith's(Brentwood)

Hospitals for Ophthalmia Neonatorum

St Margaret's

Hospitals for VD

Sheffield Street
Thavies Inn

Mental Hospitals(belonging to the LCC before 1930)

Banstead Hospital
Bexley Hospital
Cane Hill Hospital
Claybury Hospital
Friern Hospital(formerly Colney Hatch Hospital)
Horton Hospital
Long Grove Hospital
St Bernard's Hospital(formerly Hanwell Hospital)
West Park
St Ebba's Formerly Ewell Colony
Maudsley Hospital
The Manor (Epsom)
Farmfield(Horley)
South Side Home
Leytonstone House
Brunswick House
Darenth Park
Fountain Hospital
Leavesden Hospital
St Lawrence's Hospital(formerly Caterham Hospital)
Tooting Bec
Sutton Emergency Hospital

I make that around 90 different Hospitals and institutions but just how many were training sites and issued badges is unclear. I have badges from 32 different locations and have missed out on many more at auction over the years.

myk1066

Here's my small list of LCC badges so far.
St Leonard's
Brook
Highgate
The Downs
South Eastern
St Olaves
Queen Mary's Hospital for Children
St James'
North Eastern
St Mary Abbots
Dulwich

Mike

Sarah Rogers

Hi, if you have time type the names into the London met archives website, and that may help to see which had training school, for instance st mary abbotts did and the records of their nurses are there.

barrysutton

Hello I'm sure that some of you are aware that there are London County Counil nursing medals that don't apply to any hospital.

myk1066

backman

Are these the LCC Nursing Service(M) badges?

myk1066

I think they are, 2 variants, a circular on & a cross shaped one, I'll try post them on the galleries.

nursesue

have to admit in my early days i thought about concentrating on the LCC badges and wondered how many there are. Wow lots looking at the list. Have now decided to concentrate on the South Warwicks hospital group - does anybody know how many there are of those? I recently got another one off ebay for Warwick hospital

Sarah Rogers

What a lot, need good eyesight to check them out on ebay!

Mick B

This might be a daft question but do any trusts still issue badges?

Magpie

Our Trust ( North Hampshire Hospitals NHS Trust) does. In fact as a Governor I was present at our last one about 3 weeks ago. It is a lovely evening, drinks and nibbles beforehand then the actual ceremony with the Director of Nursing giving the awards of a badge and certificate. The Uni Tutors are also there from Guildford, Southampton and Bournemouth. There are awards for best student nurse, best midwife nominated by their mentors and also awards for the mentors. Their families all come, indeed one little Filipino boy stole the night going on stage with his mother despite her best efforts to dissuade him!! Our Trust ( Basingstoke, Winchester and Andover hospitals) also has Wow awards, next ceremony in November, when members of the public nominate staff for the care they have received. All grades and teams can be put forward and I find it along with many others a very emotional evening hearing what patients say. As a Governor we get these forms with the names of everybody and reason for nomination and have to vote. It is really difficult. As a Trust it is felt that these things help with finding part of the organisation and being valued and it does help with recruitment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk