News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

It's all gone quiet again?

Started by backman, August 04, 2011, 12:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

I know it's summer(allegedly)and we are all out and about but just thought I'd poke the forum to solicit any random thoughts,comments,,acquisitions ,etc to keep us active.So here goes.

A nice link re Liverpool nurses;   http://www.lmi.org.uk/Data/10/Docs/08/08Trees.pdf

Excellent site for those exploring the London hospitals;  http://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/alphabeticallist.html

When can we expect to see a new History of Nursing badges finally published ?

Where are all the exciting Nursing badges on ebay? I rarely add any new items to my collection nowadays and have to make do with postcards,pictures and ephemera.I did acquire two School of Nursing Prospectuses from Kings and the Charing Cross hospital from the 1970s as well as some old GNC exam papers which I've stuck on my Flickr pages

I am exploring the possibility of setting up my own website on the lines of the Multipy and Flickr pages .Any thoughts on what form it should take?

nursesue

hi I have to confess to being busy moving out of Aberdeen back home to Fife and have spent many a long hour packing, moving and then unpacking!! as well as decluttering and recycling at the local recycle plant!!  I have to agree there a few exciting badges but did get a nice William Smellie and a green Rotherham to add to my Rotherham set but in some cases prices have been beyond me. Eric did tempt me and am still tempted but have to save for new fridge/freezer ( long story due to unreliable unclean tennant) However saying that bokojnr has a nice little tempter...................................

backman

Hi Sue,glad to see you the Smellie badge! I must admit that since ebay have protected the identities of bidders we seem to have lost some of the "Bidding family" cameraderie of old.It was quite nice to know that if you didn't win a badge then at least you knew who had won it.
As far as moving again good luck with that and if it comes down to a new fridge freezer or a special badges then its an obvious choice....isn't it?

wilfb

Hello Hello!

(And with apologies for that), but yes, it has gone awfully quiet on the nursing badge/history front. I thought that I would just add (as usual) my 'ten-penneth' of noise to help us along! Eric does seem very busy on the sales front right now - maybe he will be along here to tell us that he is not selling his Irish collection.... And yes, a fridge freezer or a special badge, the choice really is obvious Sue - take the badge!!!

Peter - don't do it - you will regret it forever (and ever!)...   Maybe Edleweiss (James) will publish - or maybe, just maybe, we can get together a small team (we have one already) and publish the next Nursing Badge History.... The expertise is already here Peter, but can we find the time?....

Will.

eric

It's been awhile since I've actively participated on site as work here is going throught redundancies and I'm trying to keep my head down. With the obsession in saving money absolutely nothing is certain any more and everything and anything is considered in cost cutting exercise (especially staff).

On badge front I bought a UK collection last year (320 badges)and most of these now sold although to be honest after ebay + paypal fees taken out I'm just about recouped price I paid for them. I had thought they may make a bit of profit but with time taken to photograph, list, package and post, it really hasn't been as I had hoped. With daughter getting married in nine weeks time this particular venture was what I called the "wedding fund".

No, I'm not selling Irish collection and I agree there's been little on ebay that adds to my collection. Even relevant Irish postcards are few and far between. Mind you I have not even looked at my collection in over 6 months as nothing been added to it.

I'd love to see the History of Nursing Badges (part 2) being published. While this does not seem to be in immediate future (unless someone working on that as we speak), is anyone considering an article for new BAHN (British Association for the History of Nursing) which is commencing in November 2011?
I like Will's suggestion of getting small team together (could have several teams actually) and write particular theme etc and get joint article for not only BAHN but all nursing journals. This could be something to really consider in 2012.
May I ask the "articles" published on this site (e.g. Sue's badge Design's; one GNC's regional variations; Will's personal histories,  etc) Could these be reconsidered for publication in nursing press or is fact that they are print online here on site make them unsuitable??

Good luck Sue in moving, the actual thought of the hassal would stress me out.
Eric

wilfb

Hi Eric.

Life is hard - but then you already know that. But, the good side looks on - a daughters wedding! I remember our own daughter's like yesterday - in York some years ago now - it was absolute magic! The bill was horrendous (but worth every penny!) and we arrived at the reception at the York Novotel to find the waiters giving out the special red that we had bought in Crete and driven over personally for the dinner being doled out as an appetizer! We were even complimented on it. Fortunately there was enough left for the dinner! But the magic plays on - even though the nephew who volunteered to hold my pint of Guinness whilst the photographer did his stuff promptly downed it and handed back the empty mug.... All things were magic and the nursing profession was well represented... Enjoy yours Eric - have one on me - 'paypal' do?

It is also good to know that your Irish collection remains intact - it is probably the best in existence.

As far as I am concerned BAHN (and other nursing journals) are welcome to use our articles via the usual permission routes, no problem. Individual authors would also need consulting but I see no problems with that. I personally am committed to our next nursing history (ongoing right now) the second half of the GNC badge article - and of course the next (imminent) news page - after which I have the long promised article on military nursing badges with Barry (Sutton).

Well, that's all I have time for. Very best to all - send me the tab for that pint Eric!

barrysutton

Hello All,
Yes I will pull out whatevers needed with regards the Military article in due course.
Also I'll post somemore photo's in the near future for some reason the collection continues to grow and I'd had some nice aquisitions not from 'Ebay'.
I managed to grab a week in Lesvos, the most laid back holiday I've ever had in my life.
What's with the move back to Fife, Sue, I thought Aberdeen was supposed to be a long term thing.
With regards Eric's daughters wedding, he's got another one sometime, fortunatly mine is only 17 and wants to go to 'Uni' and when I enquire about boys says she currently doesn't have time for that sort of thing, no doubt things will change.
LOL
Barry

backman

Hi Barry, will look forward to the military article,armed forces nursing and medicine have always been at the forefront of healthcare practice and I  for one could stand to learning more about their history.I did try and get the book about the PMRAFN on ebay but was outbid(as I was with the Royal homeopathic badge!!!).Always good to see more of your collection when you get the chance.
Eric,sorry to hear about the work situation,don't think anyone is having too great a time nowadays(Perhaps thats why it's nice to look back to rosier days?). Shame about the badge collection not being able to fund the wedding plans but I don't think any of us look on our collecting as a money earner (unless you are Sally Bosely).Hope everything goes well with you,I always look on your collection of irish items as being in a class of their own.
Sue,hope the move/s go ok and look forward to seeing back on the collecting scene soon.
Will,Just carry on !!!!

That's the hardcore of contributors to our happy band but how about some participation and comments,views,moans,etc from the others of the group.Any success stories of finding that elusive or missing badge, any group reunions attended,any one finally reached their last day at work,anyone just qualified and received their own badge and pinned it to their uniform for the first time? Would love to hear your thoughts!

barrysutton

Yet more thoughts and a request for assistance, as I think that I really have a far to wide an intrest in all medical insignia I'm particularly lokking for any items I don't have with regards the finding needless to say I would either swop from my fairly extensive collection or pay if that is ones want.
So any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I'm trying to put together a complete collection of medical badges, postcards, medals Etc., with regards the County of Cheshire, any insignia relating to Operating Theatres, Miluitary Medical insignia Worldwide, The Red Cross, St. Johns, St. Andrews and the Order of Malta.
LOL

Sarah Rogers

You may have this but would anyone like a copy of the London prospectus from ? 70's    ...sorry original stays here! Lizzie

Micrashed

Hello

Im new

Once I get enough time at the keyboard I will write up a bit about my SoN - South Manchester and include some photographs.

Marty

backman

Hello Marty and welcome,
                        Yes I would look forward to hearing more about South Manchester SoN,what vintage are you?

Lizzie, If you are able to scan this so that it can fit into the album pages that would be great,I'm sure Wilf will help if you have any difficulty.

Sarah Rogers

Hi i will try , and scanning no problem, but its told me ive uploaded enough?
re your badges, sorry you are selling some...will you post where and when so we can see t hem? #Lizzie

nursesue

hi and welcome Marty - i would also love to hear about your days in Manchester As for uploading etc (as wilf knows) I too have a palarva with it all and in my case I blame bill gates for making me buy windows 7 after my XP computer died!!! It just doesn't like my camera at all but perservere and with Wilf's help ypou will succeed
Barry there's a very nice (but getting expensive) Cheshire on ebay at the moment

wilfb

Hi Sue.

Well, I am indeed indebted by your (hopefully not misplaced!) confidence in my ability to unravel the complexities of the computer age! Poor Bill Gates - and he handing out vast amounts of cash in philanthropic causes...

You will no doubt have guessed that I am back from my holidays - a long, looong way from frosty Scotland..... But I am amazed that you are still having problems with you windows.. Have you tried cleaning them at all?! (Apologies..).

I don't hosnestly know what the particular problem is, we run Widows 7; Windows Vista; and Windows XP on five different machines here without any problems (fingers crossed) so I am inclined towards your software installation, modems etc. Out of my grasp you will be pleased to hear..... But to be honest, Pam has converted to Apple, and I have to admit it does seem simpler....

But, as you observe, if anyone has problems with the site I am always here to help if I can. Having said that we do have a major forum upgrade pending and that always makes me very nervous. Fingers (and everything else) crossed!

Best to everyone.
Will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk