News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

SEAN - SEN Badges

Started by wilfb, October 17, 2009, 08:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilfb

Hi.

A recent correspondent (E.G) asked if there were ever state badges issued to nursing auxilliary's... The SEAN being the point in question.

I am aware that both the SEAN & SEN badges were issued by the GNC for England & Wales - but have laboured for many years under the impression that SEAN stands for State Enrolled Assistant Nurse - which was later contracted to SEN - State Enrolled Nurse.

That was certainly the case in Scotland, where the titles in full were on the face of their badges. But was there ever a badge of any description for the Auxilliary Nurse... Issued by any UK authority - hospital or otherwise?

backman

Until the advent of the NVQ's (National Vocational Qualification) in healthcare,there were only in house training courses for what we used to call Nursing Auxiliaries,(nowadays Health Care Assistants)and as such individual hospitals may have issued there own badges to acknowledge these . I do have a couple of small pin badges which I believe may have issued for such commemorative purposes but the fact is I'm really not sure?
There was an organisation called the Nursing Auxiliaries Association but I know nothing more than that.I will add a picture of a badge I have.
You are absolutely right in the SEAN and SEN badges for Scotland,England & Wales & N.Ireland but all of these were dependant upon enrollement to the appropriate State authority,GNC,etc.The main difference still being the lack of a registration body for NA's/HCA's although this is coming! Interesting topic and would welcome any further information others may have.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk