News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Bradford royal Infirmary Nurses Badges

Started by Sarah Rogers, April 05, 2014, 02:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah Rogers

Hi, does any one know when these were first issued- it is brass and is dated 1899, not the silver ones in the gallery on here.
thanks Sarah

backman

The simple answer is probably No,but I think your badge must be amongst the earliest issued by this hospital.I have only ever seen 3 of these " Do the Duty which lies nearest thee"bronze medals come up on ebay over the last 13 years whereas the silver BRI Nurses League badge is much more common.
I believe that Bradford R I were well in advance for their training methods prior to Nurse registration,instigating the Nightingale Principles of care in 1888.The BJN records show that they issued Prize medals to their most successful nurses at examination in three grades.Gold and silver medals were awarded to those nurses with the highest marks whilst bronze medals were awarded to those nurses with marks above 75%.There is also reference to a bronze medal being awarded in 1913 to a Nurse Barrett,who had previously won a gold and a silver medal,in respect of maintaining a high standard of work for three years.(Wonder what happened to that trio?)

Sarah Rogers

Thanks for that Peter- it is a beautiful badge- the relief of the nurses is very well executed.
Sarah

backman

We look forward to seeing them and an article on it's companion pieces?

Sarah Rogers

working , slowly on it already- sadly oswestry hospital records, and BRI staff records do not exist for when she was there.....Sarah

backman

That's a shame.Even up to today many hospitals are ignorant of the importance of their old records,being more concerned about the Data protection issues rather than their historical relevance.I must try and ensure the records of the Lowestoft and North Suffolk Hospital are sent to County archives when the Hospital closes for good(Reminder to self!!!)

Good Luck.

Sarah Rogers

Hi, please does any one have a picture of a silver of gold version of this badge that I could use ?  for an article on here only, so it will not be used for my financial gain!
The RCN does not have any images of the badge at all- I have given them  one of the bronze version.

many thanks indeed, sarah

myk1066

Do you have a picture of the badge?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk