News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Nightingale School Badge

Started by myk1066, November 12, 2011, 10:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

Hi all.
I'm fortunate enough to have this badge in my collection.  I have a couple of queries regarding inscriptions on the reverse.  Earlier badges had 'Nightingale School' with recepients name & year of qualification/award inscribed on them.  Some badges have the same inscription with the addition of 'St Thomas Hospital' & 'Loyalty' inscribed on them.  I believe earlier badges were made of silver, according to the League web site.
Why do the earlier badges not have a silver HM on them, why do others have the latter inscription & when did it change.  Incidentally duplicate badges have 'Duplicate' inscribed on them.

wilfb

Hi Myke.

I was hoping Peter might have been able to answer this one, but he doesn't seem to be around right now.

My Nightingale items are innaccesible right now - we go to our family home for Christmas and all is removed from here to safe-keeping to (hopefully) keep it safe. There are differences connected to the early/later badges but off the cuff I don't remember when they took place. The best I can do is to examine my spare drives in hope that the info is there (main drives also go to security) but unless you are pushed (I am ffrantic!!) I really need someone else to answer. Sorry.

Have you tried 'Edelweiss' - she can usually give the answer to all?

Will.

nursesue

hi - Myk envy you your tommies - still on my wish list. Wilf when are you away so I can "pop" round in my stripey jumper with a bag marked "swag"!!!
One day I will succeed so until then I can envy you guys your badges. Sally has one on her site as does Leighmeadow on ebay but alas no funds due to the "death" of my computer and the real urgent need to replace it Having to get used to windows 7..............getting to old for all this new technology Bring back XP

Does anyone want to swap a nice Royal Cornwallk for something Scottish otr Brummie Open to all offers.........................
sue x :P

nursesue

ps "deliver us from temptation" Another nice tommies just  gone on ebay OOOOOOOOOOO bother!!

wilfb

Hi Sue.

Deliver you from temptation... Ok - there is some wear/damage there Sue... Wait on a little!

The St Thomas' Institue badge looks Ok though.

Will.

Sarah Rogers

what do people think of the merits of enamel and metal or silver/enamel nightingale badges?, does it matter and should the price be affected? thanks lizzie

nursesue

I tend to buy badges either from the areas that I like to collect or by a nice design
I am not overfussed of the metal but silver is nice Although saying that I did resist the urge to buy the gold D/N badge that was on ebay recently for £15,000 - that would have been a definate divorce from hubby andfor that sort of money i'd rather have a super fast sports car!!!!

myk1066

Hi guys
Re badge markings specifically the word Loyalty.  Some badges have the word embossed while some are engraved.  Who won the "amersham" St Thomas badge recently for £501 & who won the one that went for £51 the other week on eBay - bargain.
Lizzie, I echoe Sue in that silver is nice to have, the look & feel of it is far better than metal.  Some metal & enamel badges can feel a bit 'cheap'.  My College of Nursing badge is metal & enamel & not at all nice in looks & feel I think.  That said some metal & enamel in my collection are equally as nice as the silver ones in my collection.
Oh & the gold badge recently on eBay, overpriced!
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk