News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

fee paying probationers

Started by Sarah Rogers, September 18, 2012, 04:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah Rogers

Hi, I am reseraching a fee paying probationer from the 1890's...the fees seem steep!: £1, 1s /week! an archivist told me she would have lived out??....but written evidence contradicts this ...dors anyone know much about them please?,
i found the rates of pay for probabtioners...but a fee paying one wouldnt have been paid?
The person I am researching seems to have had an earlier career acelrated(the archivist said that there training was shorte..but i have seen the original documents which refutes this...), she was a sister within 2 years of qualifying, and matron within 4!(but not 100's of patients)...It seems  a lot of money for a 2 yrs training with a further 2 yr tie in .
many thanks for any help, Lizzie

backman

Sarah Rogers

Hi backman, thanks :The London , have since this post done some internet reeasrch...mainly stuff on barts and tommies, also a little on the london found.....but any advice greatly recived, thanks, Lizzie

backman

Taken from" How to Become a Nurse,How and Where to Train"-Edited by Sir Henry Burdett 7th edition 1905

The London Hospital,Whitechapel Road,E
Beds 800  Matron; 2 Assistant Matrons;3 Night Superintendents; 65 Sisters;73 staff Nurses;221 Regular and Paying Probationers. This makes the total of hospital staff 364.There are 168 nurses on the private staff,making the complete total 532.The number of nurses necessarily varies from time to time in the different capacities in which they serve,according to vacancies,promotions,etc., but the total number in the employ of the London Hospital remains about the same.Applications average 2000,and vacancies 140 yearly.Two classes of Probationers are accepted for training-Paying and Regular Probationers
Paying Probationers,who should be between 22 and 40 years of age,are admitted for periods of 3 months on payment in advance of 13 guineas,to cover everything and an allowance up to 2s 6d. a week is made to them for washing in the Hospital Laundry.These engagements may be renewed indefinitely upon the same terms according to mutual agreement.No difference is made in work,status,or accommodation between paying and regular probationers except that the former are not required to take night duty unless they express a wish to do so.By special arrangement,a paying probationer who is in the limit of age(22 to 33 years) may,after a period of training,be transferred to the list of regular probationers.Paying probationers attend all lectures and may sit for the examinations,but they do not receive any certificate for less than 2 years training,and then only if they have done the term of night duty which may be required of them.

....Hope that helps,

Peter

Sarah Rogers

Dear Peter, many thanks, i didnt find that ine that burdetts yesterday,,,and looked in them all from 1901-1927!..many thanks, Lizzie

Sarah Rogers

Hi, thanks for all the help /advice, conumdrum solved)! Lizzie

Dianne

You might find the finding book of use: 
Learning to Care, A history of nursing and midwifery education at The Royal London Hospital, by Edith R Parker and Sheila M Collins, published in 1998 by the Royal London Hospital Archives.  It contains the information you now have, about paying probationers.

Sarah Rogers

Hi thanks Diane... are you a member of the league?, were you aware that Edith died suddenly last month?.... it seemed very quiet without her lively mind at the league meeting. Are you on the closed FB group?...if so do join, and if you know anything about more recent LH badges please could you email me?....thanks(the ones in association with newham and City Uni)
many thanks, Lizzie

Dianne

Dear Lizzie,  Sorry to be so long in my reply.  I am not a member of the LH League, but was Vice Principal (Pre-reg studies) at Princess Alexandra & Newham College of Nursing & Midwifery from April 1992 and subsequently part of the school whilst it merged with Bart's and incorporated with City (I retired in 2006).  As to the London & Newham badge with we described as 'links', I was part of the group which agreed on that design, but I do not have any up-to date information on issue and availability.  As to Edith Parker, she and I remained friends until she died and I was at her funeral.

Sarah Rogers

Dear Dianne, many thanks for that info, if you would like to vet my article , i would be happy to send it to you, i think Will will uplaod it next news letter, fattorinis still havet got back to me about it.
You may be aware some of  Miss Parkers items are on ebay for sale...rather sadly.
many thanks

wilfb

Hi Lizzie.

I will upload the article well before the next news and will advise the link on the forum. I have left a private note in your SoN message box Re: this.

Will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk