News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Hello , can anyone help ?

Started by James, April 24, 2010, 11:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

Hello all
Thanks for accepting me to the forum, finding I have to say    :)

I wonder if anyone can help me identify a medal - its silver and by Mappin and Webb and I beleive nursing relating as - it has five individual service bars dating from 1911 and an enamel coat of arms to  the suspender

I have tried to post a picvture but can't seem to size my image to fit the forum rules

Any advice much appreciated

backman

Hello and welcome James,
We can't promise but we will do our collective best to help identify your badge/medal.Unfortunately there are a tremendous variety of such items issued to nurses but these are frequently unrecorded.What we will need is as detailed a description as possible although a picture(even poor)would be preferable.

wilfb

Hi James.

Peter (backman) is certainly the right person if you want a nursing badge/medal identifying. But of course you are correct in that believing posting the picture will help.

You picture should be resized to maximums of not more than 650x650 pixels (size) and 1072 Kb (weight) for the main galleries - if you do that it should upload.

I can send you full instructions via your message box if you want them. Uploads are really very simple though they can seem a bit daunting on the first occaision. Let me know if you want to do that, either here or via personal messages. If it appears easier/faster for you just send your photograph here to me webmaster@schoolsofnursing.co.uk and I will upload it to the area you specify. (I would suggest here for starters).

Just in case you have missed it - when you post here there is an ' + Additional Options' link below the message box if you click that you will see an 'Attach:' entry box for details of the photo - the best way to handle that is to use the browse option. But remember that your photo must not weigh more than 128 Kb - if you are not sure how to reduce the weight try resizing and checking the picture properties before attempting the upload.  Come back as often as you need - no problem!

W.

James

Ok Thanks for the advice, I have tried to lower the image size now on my camera, hopefully this will be viewbale

backman

Hello James,Yes I do !!! I tried to buy it recently at auction at Eastborne but the company didn't put my bid on so congrats on your bargain,LOL!
It is indeed a nursing badge,what's it worth to tell you?!?Would you like to sell it??

backman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holloway_Sanatorium   

Can I ask,did the RMPA and GNC badges all match for name and Detail ? Anyway congratulations on a lovely badge I was very disappointed not to win it but hey such is life(mutter ,mutter)

James

Quote from: backman on April 24, 2010, 06:26:06 PM
Hello James,Yes I do !!! I tried to buy it recently at auction at Eastborne but the company didn't put my bid on so congrats on your bargain,LOL!
It is indeed a nursing badge,what's it worth to tell you?!?Would you like to sell it??

WOW , not sure on that . More interested in knowing about it.  

Yes , all the badges matched in name of Mary C Smith.  GNC ( RMN)  badge dated 1922 , this medal is actually hallmarked 1901

As I say it would be nice to know about the medal if you are able to help me.

backman

Please see the Wicki link for Holloway Sanitorium which was a major private Mental hospital at Virginia Water.The badge was awarded to staff who had undertaken the exams for the RMPA prior to the GNC's RMN training .The date bars are for years of service making this a particularly nice grouping.

James

OK , I will have a look , thank you .   :)

wilfb

Hello again James.

Did I cause that? I only went for tea! And to think that Peter only recently told me that he was broke!! But never mind - he ID'd the badges and you might even yet take from him the money he was most obviously hoarding...

But seriously. I have a good friend who worked briefly at Holloway Sanatorium (long before I became interested in nursing badges) he went on later to become head of the British Council in Gaborone. Personally I am more interested in the GNC RMN nursing badge mentioned, as I am just completing an article on GNC Registration badges for the main website. Any chance of a photograph of the reverse side? Or just the detail - (Fattorini (Hockley St)? Recipient name; reg number/date? hallmark; type of pin safety/sharp; badge design no; craftsmans mark - usually a line with a couple of tiny dots below the fattorini mark) but a photo would be best.

Please don't let me detract from your conversation with Peter (backman) - he was first....

I hope that having joined you are not already regretting it!!!

W.

Ps. Please don't forget the 'National' photo galleries (link in the header above) - the larger limits mentioned apply there - and you have space for your own gallery too.

James

;D Hi

No , no regrets at all - this is a very fine forum.

Just sorry that backman's bid was overllooked.  Hopefully  not too annoyed at me for my frst post on the forum.         :o         - sorry

Reference the GNC badge I will have to take a picture hopefully tomorrow

There were others included in the lot that I bought so I will post all of them if it helps.

Many thanks

backman

Not at all(well not with you but slightly miffed with the  auctioneers).Nice to know that it has gone to a good home( shame it wasn't mine though!) ;D
welcome to the group and hope to see more posts.

Peter/backman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk