News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

A Virtual Museum of Nursing

Started by backman, June 28, 2011, 10:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

As discussed on previous message threads,the UK has no designated Museum of nursing  although I am aware that several hospitals do have there own collections which may constitute small museums( any details of any such known collections would be welcomed with reviews if possible).I have come across several museums in other countries but in this economic climate it seems unlikely that money will be found to support such a project in the UK.
In this digital age however I have come across several virtual or online museums and wonder if this is something that we should be lobbying for from such bodies as the RCN? As somewhere between 15000 and 20000 nurses who came through  the traditional schools of nursing are due to retire in the next 10 years the danger is that their recollections and experiences may be lost to our collective history of nursing.Researchers know just how hard it can be to gather facts many years later whem memories fail!
Such sites as this one show just what a few keen individuals can do but imagine that membership and participation extended to the broad nursing family and public.
Once again what are your thoughts?

wilfb

Hi.

As usual your thoughts are my thoughts Peter. Excepting that (as you know) my belief is that private enterprise is where it should happen.

And yes, look what we have achieved between us - almost at no (cash) cost if we consider only the site. A whole (1974) Timeline of UK schools of nursing containing (as far as it has been possible to ascertain) almost every hospital used for nurse training at that time; Our forum, with 216 topics (279 members); our photograph galleries - over 2500 nursing and hospital badges, with few repeats; 342 photographs of people/buildings/ephemera; and 53 photographs of uniforms. Plus of course 27 personal galleries belonging to individual members.

A tremendous amount of work surrounding our nursing history contributed by a small number of very enthusiastic people. Every item a treasure!

There are also a small number of articles on various topics and a regular (though not frequent due to constraints on time) news page - and I personally am working on a major public gallery display of nursing/hospital badges - where all items will be fully described - origins, size, weight, makers, numbers etc - a long painstaking labour which would perhaps proceed faster with more hands. Perhaps an organization such as the RCN could help considerably with this example - my question is would they - I am still dissapointed with their nursing badge gallery - though it is a great deal better than it was. They are not, at present, very good at sharing. A personal opinion....

I have often thought that this site, inspired by enthusiasts such a yourself, Sue, Barry, Eric, and several other contributors in the background - for example Adrian B (software engineer) Sue Barker (professional teacher/researcher) - could become a virtual museum - in fact it 'virtually' (apologies) is one now, and thought of applying for a grant to say, the National Lottery to make it one. I shrink back because of the need to commit time that perhaps I do not have...

If I have omitted due respects to the several other contributors it is solely because the material found within the site already does the job - or old age!

My thoughts - yes, there is a need, just as there is a need for a physical national museum (I wonder if there is one for football?). Meanwhile, perhaps we can seek to raise the profiles of those who already contributing to a national level (please god not mine!) which might do something to focus the minds of those who can help.

All parts of the sire are fully searchable - a worthy feat!

A few of my thoughts, I hope that others will follow....

Will.

A couple of links:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Gallery2/EWilkinsonDT2/EWIBadges1/page_01.htm

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/index.html

*To view the pearl the 'National' photograph galleries one does need to join the forum. This is principally because members are able to modify parts online - eg. to create their own galleries.

backman

A couple of developments to report regarding this thread.A letter was published in the Nursing Standard on the 6th July from Christinem Eberhardie with the same appeal for both a physical and virtual Museum of Nursing to be developed,Anyone interested is asked to contact Christine.eberhardie@sgul.kingston.ac.uk .
A response appeared in the July 20th edition of the Nursing Standard from Sue McGann,the RCN's archives manager stating that the college intends to develop a new home for the History of Nursing at headquarters in London.The new area ,part of a refurbished space in the library will include exhibitions,events and workshops as well as providing access to all their historical collections.Watch this space but perhaps a start?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk