News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

London Hospital Badge

Started by myk1066, August 17, 2013, 11:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nursesue

hate to say this guys but there's a London SEN just gone on ebay!!! any best on its final selling price???  :o

Sarah Rogers

?HIgh? Where has he got it from??

myk1066

I wonder too about its final price & where he got it from!  Me thinks there may be a flood of these badges coming onto the market!

Magpie

Just checked on EBay, the London SRN says it is hall marked for 1995 and has reached £41 and the SEN is hall marked for 1985 and has reached £51. Neither has names engraved on back.

barrysutton

I may be an optomist but I reckon they'll both go for around the £100 mark.

Sarah Rogers

I reckn the sen more... and the unnamed Rgn may go for more if someone is replacing a lost/stolen one.

Sarah Rogers

re Pupil Nurse training at the London;

The last Pupil Nurse qualified in 1990, from the Princess Alexandra College of Nursing and Midwifery. (just one Pupil that year-they had started in 1989)-there were many more the year before.( source, archivists at The Royal London hospital Archives). I assume that they received the "Old " LH style badge-SEN  as on ebay at present.
So the information in my article is correct!

myk1066

Hi Lizzie, am I reading you last comment right, just one pupil nurse qualified in 1990?  Can you remind as to when the LH started pupil nurse training?
Cheers
Mike

Sarah Rogers

Yes Mike,, only 1 person, in 1990, but "many" the years before.
I cannot remember when exactly but the answer is  in my article - !

myk1066

The London EN has topped £100
Mike

backman

Probably too much if the vendor does indeed have further badges? We have seen(and been victim to)multiple badges coming onto the market several times over the years.It goes to show that a badge is only worth what an individual is prepared to pay. Scarcity is only one factor in the price a badge will fetch.I think the highest cost (ordinary) badge that I've seen was a boxed Nightingale which reached £1500.I think I'd prefer some of the unrecognised gems which still crop up from time to time.Anyway It's only money!!!!

myk1066

I agree & I've also paid top whack for badges only to see them come along like London busses!  One that springs to mind was the Broadgreen that kept appearing a few years ago, whilst not in the same league as the prices of the LH & Nightingale they were pretty frequent at the time.  Anyone want to swap me some badges for my EN LH?  God loves a tryer.
Mike  ;D

myk1066

Hi guys.
Guess what, another London gone on sale.  Is the market, so to speak, going to be flooded with The London badges, could this see the crash in prices on ebay?
Check out the link below.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141056957610

Mike

myk1066

£180 for the London Enrolled nurse badge!

wilfb

Hi Myke,

Seems a definite possibility (finding the market that is) since the badges are un-named. Maybe someone has a job-lot of un-issued badges somewhere.  For me they are of little value (I certainly would not pay anything like the current prices for an un-named badge) as it is really simply a badge - no history.... I seem to remember a couple of un-named Nightingales went for quite reasonable sums in the not too distant past.

I know that some badges are un-named league of nurses/RCN etc etc, and are perfectly collectable as such. I also admire the sheer craftsmanship of many badges, and might certainly be tempted if I had a gap in my collection (as I am sure that we all do), but as a general rule I try to avoid all badges which appear to have no history, rightly or wrongly. You pays your money, you take your choice!

I have a brother-in-law who collects military badges, many of which were not named, and he spends I know, a lot of time trying to ensure that badges he buys are not reproduction. But he also has a fair collection that he can be fairly sure are...  There are many factors to consider when buying non-named nursing badges though, and the space here isn't sufficient to deal with the topic. Perhaps it could make a topic in our 'collectors' column on the news page. Perhaps.....

Un-named badges? For myself - only where they should be so. Otherwise - no history, no badge! But I do acknowledge that others may not feel the same way, I just enjoy seeking the history, and reveling in the finding that a badge I am holding has some...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk