News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

hospital carnival badges

Started by Sarah Rogers, January 14, 2012, 11:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah Rogers

hi does any one know any history about these..found 1 at a antiques fair (like the one bazebeb sells on ebay) thanks Lizzie

backman

Hi Lizzie, I know that when I started out collecting I would often bid on many of these on the assumption that they were Nursing items(often being listed as such) only to find that they were in fact either commemorative items or fund raising badges.Whilst firmly part of the history of hospitals and healthcare they don't fit the category of badges awarded to recognise training or qualification of nurses or midwives.That being said,I think that they are collectable in their own right.
There are several variations but they reflect the struggle that most hospitals had to fund their activities pre NHS.Some relate to insurance schemes and collectors who would take weekly subscriptions from members in case they needed hospital treatment.Extensions to a hospital or nurses home would often generate extra finding ,particularly in the 1930s which saw a range of annual carnivals,Shrewsbury being a notable one that issued badges.
I still get caught out but ones that seem to crop up a lot are the small Kings College/Belgrave Hospital for Children Kingfisher brooch badges.Whist nice badges I believe that these are fund raisers although I understand that a large version was awarded to nurses who qualified from the Belgrave( on the wish list).Other ones are a very small Southend on sea,Harefield finding a Hare,Southampton Hon.Collector and various Hospital extension badges.

Hope that helps?

Sarah Rogers

Hi, thats very helpful , thanks., the one i bought is a plain white maltese type cross with silver crown in centre
many thanks Lizzie

nursesue

just to say I got caught out on the very small southend- on - sea I resold it at a loss It is truely a case of buyer beware. I do have from Cheltenham eye hospital Its lozenge shaped - also bought as a hospital badge only to discover its a fund raiser but i kept as its nice wee thing

Sarah Rogers

Thanks , is the southend on sea the little white star?
Lizzie

backman

barrysutton

I have a collection of about a 100 of these badges, mainly because I like them.

wilfb

Hi Barry.

These badges are part of our hospitals history too - I didn't realise that so many had appeared!

Will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk