News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

RCN Headquarters redevelopment

Started by backman, March 25, 2014, 09:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

I finally managed,last week, to get to see the updated facilities at the RCNs Library and Heritage Services.Whilst they did have some interesting display cases with Nursing Memorabilia including a few badges,there was a large chunk of the old Library given over to the creation of a Coffee bar.I did enjoy a browse at some of their library of Nursing and Hospital histories,had another look at the Meglaughlin collection catalogue and also purchased some reproduction postcards but on the whole was slightly disappointed at the experience.It is probably worth dropping by if you are nearby but by no means as entertaining as the London Hospital Museum.

Mick B

My wife is an RCN Officer and went down a bit back, she said she wasn't very impressed.

Dianne

I think we need to remember that the RCN library is the largest nursing specific library in Europe and does now give good access to the historical collection.  As to the display cases, the 4 large ones upstairs relate to a history of nurse education, will remain in place for some time and will be supported by a very detailed time line (I don't have a date for that).  The cases in the History of Nursing center on the lower ground floor will change each year, the current exhibition relating to Royalty will be replaced by a WW1 exhibit in August.  Also on display is the RCN Charter.
As to the coffee shop, (members do get a discount!) the College is keen to engage the public, a coffee shop helps do that and it is good place for an ad hoc meeting.
So whilst I heartily agree that the London Hospital museum and archive are finding, interesting and many other adjectives, they are very different establishments.

Dianne

Dianne

An update:  I was at the RCN library today and the timeline is live on a touch screen adjacent to the large display, also the display downstairs is now of 'founders and fellows' of the RCN.
Dianne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk