News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

badges without names

Started by nursesue, December 07, 2013, 02:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nursesue

curiosity has me asking  - is it unusual for a hospital badge not to be named? I don't mean the recipients name to rear but the hospital name to the front. I'm thinking of the nice Princess Alexandra college of nursing badges that have appeared on ebay??? ??? :-*

backman

I wouldn't say that it was too common, Sue.Looking through my badges there are one or two which aren't identified such as the later version Charing Cross medal ,and some which are only identified on the rear such as the Holborn Infirmary(One of my all time favourites).What is more common is the use of Initials to identify a hospital and there are lots of these.I can immediately think of Little Plumstead Hospital near Norwich,Northwick Park Hospital,Miller General Hospital,St Mary Abbot's hospital,Bristol Royal Infirmary,etc. This is the category which has my largest is it/isn't it group in my collection. I have a BH,a WSH,a Scottish RH and a few others but haven't yet managed to pin these down to specific locations.

The other problems are with Pendant badges which only identify the hospital on the suspension bar,and which once separated from these are just nice coats of arms!!!!

I have been after an early Nurses league badge for the Royal South Hants Hospital for years but as all it has to identify it are the Hampshire roses and the initials RSHNL it doesn't come up usual searches.Similarly i am trying to get a badge from the Matrons Council but this only has MC on a medal to identify it!!!At least my retirement has given me more time to trawl different listings to find those elusive wants!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk