News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Acquisitions of the year 2012

Started by backman, December 31, 2012, 03:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

Whist I suspect for many members and collectors on this site it has been a sparse year for acquisitions,do people want to share their finds of the year?

Mine were one from my wants list,namely a lovely Hellesdon Mental Hospital Norwich which I've been after for ages.

My best purchase however was probably a set and documents for a young 19 year old Jewish German girl Lotte May,who escaped from Germany,arriving at Harwich on the 10th August 1939 just 3 weeks prior to the outbreak of war.A letter for March 1941 from the LCC invites her for interview as a probationer nurse in one of the Council's Hospital Training schools,possibly Highgate.It includes her St Marks Hospital badge for 18 months training from 1941 to 1943.An unmarked NTH medal(Affiliated Training)probably National Temperance Hospital is included as is her GNC badge dated 7.6.1945. It just cries out for more research.Was the delay in arriving and her training due to her internment as an enemy alien, although she was a refugee?  http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/timeline/factfiles/nonflash/a6651858.shtml

Hope to eventually track down more details,when I get the chance.

Another detective trail has been launched by a collection of ephemera which I picked up for 99p on ebay. They relate to Ellen Johnson and mainly consist or references and her GNC certificate from her career which spans from the London hospital in 1905 via Ceylon,Hong Kong ,Manchester and back to Hong Kong ending in 1930.I have added them to a Flickr set if anyone is interested but once again they seem to typify the solid dependable nurses who manned the hospitals of what was then the British Empire.finding!    http://www.flickr.com/photos/backmanmal/sets/72157632368052584/

Sarah Rogers

My finds , were the LH badge belonging to Mary Pinsent...and the research  journey that has taken me on, and is still doing so, also  a large LH badge , plus battered box, now repaired, (having seen one worn by a friend and ex tutor at reunions its lovely to hold one..and search the owners history) , and also the lovely sketches emailed to be by toyes of the LH aid society badges...
Lizzie

wilfb

Hi.
How do you follow that – 'Acquisitions of the year'?  And what a superb set of acquisitions.  I followed the links 'backman' gave and spent a little time browsing the information gleaned from the material on Lotte May. A stunning history in the making and hopefully one about which we will hear a lot more....

And the material from Lizzie – plus her preliminary (published) history about M.E. Pinsent.

I felt easily outdone by both!  But I did make a few acquisitions.  The most  recent being the 1914 Bart's badge origination from C.E.Fenner – the old 'dished' type of reverse with superb inscription and full hallmarking. I already had two previous and slightly different versions - http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm
But perhaps my real acquisitions lay with the materials contributed by others to the SoN News pages.... Although not 'mine'  - I was able to savor the several  contributions when first received and have a hand in producing them.....

February – The nurse History of Evelyn Betham (Oldchurch Hospital) went online – together with a couple of photographs from 'backman'.  News of Edith Appleton's WWI war diaries came from Dr Garden Cottage (Dick Robinson) and associated links; A 1954 Lowestoft Hospital prize-giving photograph (about which information is still sought) and my own collectors corner on empty boxes and paperweights. All much enjoy by me at least! http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/Newspage023.htm

The May issue – stunning!  Gina 'O' made a superb photographic contribution – Nightingale badge and box; including a personal plus some history – 'Miss Tyler had a most distinguished career, and was 35 years at St. Thomas', where she achieved rank of Assistant Matron-in-Charge at St. Thomas' Hydestile (Godalming, Surrey), when the hospital was moved out of London during the Blitz of 1941. She was one of the team of three nurses who nursed KING GEORGE VI, father of present QUEEN), at Buckingham Palace prior to his death in 1952'. We were able to make a separate page out of this alone!  There was much more in that issue but for me two facets made the day – a Scottish RNMD badge, and a photograph of Medway Central PTS 1954. http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/Newspage024.htm

One of the tutors therein was a very much Younger Ken Darley.  Ken was DNE when I obtained my first SNO (Teaching) post in the mid 80's. I have never respected anyone more, before or since. Sadly now deceased....

July News – and back came Gina 'O' with a full pictorial history of Barbara Tylers scrap book! Did we want to use it? Did we just!! It will take a little while to present properly – but it will be a superb addition to the site. And as if by magic, a very rare St Thomas' (Nightingale) SEN badge from 'pugwash', who had gained both the badge for sale and a registered nurse version. She was selling the SEN Version to fund a trip to India to take part in a polio immunization program... Dedication supreme!
A couple of superb featured badges from the Irish badge collection of 'eric' – another superb month!
http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/Newspage025.htm

The October News. A new Nurse History started – Tony Sisson – is going to be something else again. Tony had already sold me his personal badges – and those of his from the nurse he married so it is a good start. I also gained that 1914 St Bart's League badge already mentioned. That made my day having already two later versions! A superb year!
There is not room to cover the whole year in detail.  But just talking about acquisitions – the very best for me has been the contact and often developing friendship of contributors, as well as regular supporters who invested much time and effort into the page. All sincerely appreciated. http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/Newspage026.htm

I am mindful also that there have been personal losses, and I feel, like others, for those who suffered them. Hopefully the New Year will bring new gains and friendships to heal any scars....

Happy New Year.
Will.

barrysutton

A Happy New Year tro one and all.
Well 2012 was'nt a particullary fantastic year on the badge front although I did pick up some gems, namely a Barony Hospital badge (Nantwich), a Jersey General Hospital and my mother gave me her Association of Hospital Sick Childrens badge as she says she no longer wears it.

nursesue

I would have to say its been a tad expensive. I remember when scottish badges were relatively cheap, compared to London area badges , but they seem to be getting more expensive and I am now searching for an Edinburgh Royal Infirmary nurses league badge! After many years of coveting and wanting a St Thomas's badge i was recently lucky enough to acquire one plus some other great badges. I can't thank the seller enough for his time and generosity - so this would have to be my acquisition of the year. I find its ages before i see a badge i really want then they all seem to come together  - however bargains can still be found I recently got a makers model of a Dundee Royal plus an incomplete badge Got them at agreat price and its nic e that they have stayed together.
So happy hunting and a great new year to you all
sue x

Sarah Rogers

Hi Sue, glad you got your nightingale at last. and in a box?
happy new year, Lizzie

nursesue

no its just the badge but am so thrilled to have I really don't care that its not boxed ;D

wilfb

Hi Sue.

Really glad for you. Don't watch it away now!

Will.

markwatson

so happy for you sue it was worth the wait  :D

jock57

my best acquisition was of some old slides that were being thrown out, of my nursing school being built and some old classes of
nurses training and hospital buildings-  I had to go and get a slide viewer out of Jessops to look at them, there is around 70 of them in a little box from the 60s/70s I think, if we ever do all meet up I will bring them along. I was thrilled with this,
no badges re nursing - although I have met an old London nurse and told her to look after her badges well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk