News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

GNC Badges

Started by myk1066, November 15, 2012, 12:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

What is the earliest dated GNC badge any of you badge collectors have?  I believe I may have, en route in the post, one dated 1921 with a low registration number for the finding:

E.M.FALKINGHAM S.R.N.566, R.F.N.18. 28.10.21

If it is as stated then the SRN No is the lowest I have in my collection & the RFN No is also the lowest one in my collection & the lowest one I have seen.

Regards
Myk1066

wilfb

Hi Myke1066.

I don't believe that I have any GNC badges before 1922 - though I believe that Fran Biley may have some very early GNC badges.

Any chance of a photograph of the reverse when you get it?

I will check our site badges to see what we have.

Will.

Ps. 'The register opened on 30th September 1921. The first state registration badge was issued to Ethel Gordon Bedford-Fenwick (nee Manson) who was registered as SRN (State Registered Nurse) on 30th September 1921. The registration number was '1'. The final resting place of this badge is unknown.' *From our Son article on GNC badges.

barrysutton

With regards numbered and dated badges I would appear to have some oddities,
1). M.Fellows S.R.N. 3946  19.5.22 (M stands for Myra, one of my great aunts),

2). W. Fish S.R.N. 53 15.6.23, this has a lapel finding,

3). E. Whiitefield R.F.N. 808 20.7.23.

barrysutton

Also does anyone know when each of the various registers where opened, i.e. R.S.C.N., R.M.N., R.N.M.D., R.N.M.S., S.E.A.N. & S.E.N.?

I assume that the registers for the S.R.N. & R.F.N. were both opened in 1921?

nursesue

i am still working on the dates of RFNS, however, I do have the date of December 31st  1967 as the day that the fever regisiter closed.
In December 1960 the first reading of a Bill whose aim was to  alter the name of SEANs to SEN.
The Enrolled nurse rules came into opertion in 1961 after consolidating all the previous Rolls. I quote from my fave source " There was much controversy in the profession over the content of the pupil nurses' practical training. Some felt it was too broad and included procedures which ought to be the province of the SRN- eg the administration of oxygen" The is in 1946 when the GNC when reviewing SEN training We have come such a long way since then
As for the England and Wales GNC badge - i have found the date of February 1921 when it was decided to use the Seal of the GNC as a badge
( described as a medallion in my book) the accepted abbreviations of SRN, RMN,RNMD, RSCN AND RFN was decided in 1923 after the Admiralty refused permission to use the initials "RN" as the official abbreviation of "Registered Nurse"

myk1066

Hi Sue
What is your source pray tell
Mike

nursesue

a  history of the General Nursing Council for England and Wales 1919-69 by Eve D Bendall and Elizabeth Raybould. I found a cheap ex library copy and its a finding read and source of info
sue

myk1066

Cheers for that Sue
::)

Sarah Rogers

Along the theme of GNc badges, does any one know which year please that GNc badges were awarded with numbers and not names? thanks, Lizzie

myk1066

I have an RNMS named & dated 01/04/1980 & an SRN named & dated 1978.  I also have some numbered but not named with higher numbers which I suspect are from the late 70's & early 80's.
Myk1066

Sarah Rogers

Thanks, I bought a group from an antiques guy and suspect that they aren't a group... , but as GNC not named i shall have to work a bit harder   to find out either way.
thanks, lizzie

nursesue

I qulaified March 1983 my (now lost) badge had registration number and date but was un-named

Sarah Rogers

Hi, the badge in question, has no name, or date!..just SRN, and a number, 474xxx, and was with 2 scottish badges, which are bothe the same name, a central miwives board and east fife...both for the early 70's. (72/74)...so really dont think that its the same person...but want to find out, jsut strange that it has no year onit  either.
many thanks for all the tips... ive re-read wills informative article on them also.

wilfb

Hi.

Yes, the badge article can be a help but there is much more to come which is not yet on-line. GNC reverse sides for example, differ widely and that perenial problem of badge numbering... Originally intended to make impersonation of a nurse more difficult -  made badge identification a problem. Whether it stopped people impersonating nurses? I am not at all sure. But we will crack the numbers in a little while I am sure.

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Collections1/GNCEWBadges.htm

Will.

Sarah Rogers

Thanks all, does any  one know if you can search the GNC registers at Kew by number only?...(they will order them into the British Museum in London but only up to the 1960's issues though i think)
thansk, Lizzie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk