News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Copyright Law

Started by backman, October 07, 2011, 12:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

Are there any legal experts out there that can give me a simple definition of the Laws of copyright?
I have been asked by a number of publishers for permission to reproduce images from my collected nursing photographs and identify copyright.Whilst I am reasonably happy in adding these images to non commercial sites such as Schools of Nursing,I am unsure what the position is for reproducing old picture postcards and photos commercially? Anyone help?

wilfb

Hi Peter.

There is a straightforward UK copyright outline here:-

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law

But where other countries are involved eg, USA there are some differences but in general, most images covered in the US expire after 50 years unless an extension to 70 years has been granted.

Where as a general rule  where the owner of an image cannot be traced after reasonable attempts a 'fair use' rule can be applied - but still has to be made explicit. Have a look at the Wikipedia site - there are many examples.

I aways make a point of attempting to gain permission for anything that I use.

W.

backman

thanks Will,
that seems to clarify my main questions.

p.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk