News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

South Manchester College of Nursing 1992

Started by Micrashed, January 25, 2012, 10:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micrashed

In 1992 I left home to live in Manchester in a place called Newall House within the grounds of Baguley Sanatorium. Part of the Wythenshawe hospital complex.
The intake was about 50 nurses, but split into four circuits - North, Central, Trafford and South.
North was comprised of Salford Hospital then there was Trafford General, Central comprised of Manchester Royal, Barnes Hospital and the Eye Hospital and South comprised of Withington, Wythenshawe and Christies (though in reality very few people got the chance to spend time at Christies).

I was in the "South" circuit and because I lived on site at Wythenshawe spent most of my 3 years there.

(IIRC - Light green = Salford, Dark Green = Trafford, White with lilac belts = South and White with black = Central).

South intake was the largest section, but we were split over two very large hospitals. Out of the picture about  three quarters went on to qualify.

Our badge - only issued for 3 years before the design changed again - we were the first to get the Star Trek style badge.

Newall House - part of the School of Nursing, but also my home for 3 years.

Its getting late and I was keen to add photos that I cant link from if I log in at work. I'll add more as I think of things tomorrow.

wilfb

Hi.

Thanks for all that - especially the photographs...

Are you adding these to the 'National' galleries too - I sincerely hope so, you will find categories for all and the additions would be most welcome.
Personally I would beg your permission to allow the use of the photographs on the SoN news page Martin. We are always desperately short. We might need to check copyright if you can supply the photographs. Do let me know...

Thanks again for the additions. And for joining in the first place.

Will.

Micrashed

With regards Copyright I have no idea who owns the copyright for the group photos, they were taken by someone from the school of nursing on the day we all got our uniforms (sometime towards the end of the second week).
Im happy for the pictures to be used, the bottom two are mine and in fact appear on Flickr and Wikimedia commons, use & reproduce mine with pleasure.
Somewhere in the loft i have a few more photos of the actual School (Mauldeth House in Withington) and of the old bits of Wythenshawe hospital - the old RAF burns unit which became A wing. I have happy memories of hiding in the sluice when the consultant came round, and serving tea and biscuits to Sister and the Consultant afterwards.
I'll contact my friend in Arizona who qualified a few months before me and should have the older style South West Manchester School of Nursing badge -  a much nicer design, and see if she will email me a copy.

Forgot to say, we were the last intake on the "traditional" training scheme, the ones that came in the intake after us were Project 2000. So we had the 12 weeks on a ward, 1 week in school 2 weeks off then a week of exams and essays and each year a "final" to carry us over to the next year. Anyone else remember being "in charge" as a 3rd year student on nights - just me, the auxiliary and night sister who did her rounds of the wards a few times a night?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk