News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

do name changes reflect changes in nursing & medical professions?

Started by nursesue, January 22, 2015, 02:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nursesue

Having recently won some wonderful nursing/midwife certificates they really show some of the changes with both names and how our profession has changed
A 1938 orthopaedic nursing certificate was awarded by the "Central Council for the care of Cripples" mine was issued in 1978 by the " Joint Examination Board British Orthopaedic Association and Central Council for the Disabled" I believe the last name change became ENB214 ( I maybe wrong)
So what else has changed?
English and Welsh nurses stopped being SRN/SEN in 1983 with the demise of the GNC and became RGN/EN(G) Scottish nurses always being RGNs -  now we're just plain RN ( doesn't have the same ring or am i just an old fashioned dinosaur)

The General Nursing Council became the UKCC & now is the "Dick Turpin" NMC ( as in highway robbery but that's another story)

Other names that have gone is Matrons, Nursing Officer ( affectionately titled number 7s) and School of Nursing -  now university based

Nursing Auxiliaries became Health Care Assistants and now are Health Care Support Workers

Theatre Orderlies once ODO/ODAs I believe are ODPs and I think Junior Drs are not house officers but F1S/F2S! ( been a long time since I was hospital based)

Sister has been changed to Charge Nurse ( perhaps to avoid sex discrimination) or is that another Scottish peculiarity?

backman

Indeed Sue,in fact you are touching on a piece I am currently working on about the role of badge design in the changing history of Nursing.
As well as the examples you mention there are several others.There are some which reflect the roll of the Board of Guardians of the Unions which ran the Poor Law Infirmaries,(Hope Hospital Salford Union being one).With the transfer of these to County Councils around 1930 many Infirmary badges morphed into Hospitals.Similarly Asylums became Mental Hospitals before dropping even the word Mental.
I am also trying to identify aproximately when the Term Probationer changed to that of Student Nurse? Does anyone have an idea?

barrysutton

As far as ODA/ODP's are corcerned, when I started in the Army I was an Opetating Theatre Technician (O.T.T.)

nursesue

have just posted some photos of the Orthopaedic Certificate as well as a fold for Hilda Florence Charter with her certificates and her GNC badge - please enjoy

nursesue

hi Pete - found this article while searching for something else Not had time to read it and I hope the link works but hope it answers your question on probationers http://pmj.bmj.com/content/78/916/118.full.pdf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk