News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Florence Nightingale

Started by myk1066, August 31, 2016, 10:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

Did Florence Nightingale visit hospitals outside London, moreover any in the North West?

backman

It is well documented that after the Crimea her health declined to the point that she became somewhat of a recluse and was more or less housebound from around 1861.She achieved most of her influence from a tremendous amount of correspondence over the next 50 years.She did not even set foot in the new Nightingale School of Nursing so it is likely that any travels were done in the early years of her life.I am sure that the Nightingale museum would be able to confirm;  http://www.florence-nightingale.co.uk

myk1066

Thanks for that, I'll let you know the outcome.

Julie bowman

Have been researching the history of the cumberland infirmary carlisle, found two nightingale probationers who worked there one was matron. Florence never called and don't think she went elsewhere in the north but she kept in touch with her girls. Go on country Joe McDonald's excellent web site on Florence and schools in the uk where her protégées worked are documented, few in the north. Good luck and if she visited did visit carlisle let me know . Julie.

myk1066

Hi Julie
Have you the exact web address please?
Regards
Myk

myk1066

backman

wilfb

Nice link Peter.  Well worth a look.

Will.

Julie bowman

So pleased country joes web site on Florence has been noted. He does on occasion answer his emails!
He works with archivists at a university in California and anything on the topic is deposited there.
Julie. 

caro7b

Thank you for that. Will have a good luck at website.

Julie bowman

Hi you can hear his nurse songs--not bad but he did do Woodstock.

backman

I did wonder if it was the same Country Joe(and the Fish)?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk