News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

NURSING AT THE GENERAL HOSPITAL, BIRMINGHAM. 1951-1957.

Started by backman, May 16, 2014, 04:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

wilfb

Hi.

Yes, I would say that looks well worth a read - It looks long and I only had time for a few pages, but those first-hand accounts are the real stuff of nurse history.

Will.

myk1066

I read a couple of pages on my break at work, very enjoyable so far.

Magpie

What a great read, thank you Peter. I think that I will now write up some of my experiences! I knew Sisters Thorpe, Cunningham and Gadd. I started training at The Queen Elizabeth School of Nursing in October 1960 and was in set 213 Experimental which meant 2 years at Birmingham Children's Hospital, 1 year at the General and final year at The Children's Hospital.We also had a stint at The Women's Hospital which meant 3 different bus journeys! I remember Sister Scattergood on Ward 14 at the General which was Gynae - she was a legend and used to carry a catheter and a pair of scissors in her pocket to deal with catherisation and removal of sutures and I never saw any resulting infection!! I remember Ward 8 with a very strict Sister, it was Men's Surgical, the main hospital corridor ran through the middle of 2 sides of each ward. I remember being terrified when she told me to shave a patient ( never having needed to do this with the children). I asked her where the razors were and I was directed to cut throat razors. Luckily we had a male orderly who visited the wards and odd preop shaves, an Irishman who taught me how to bet and used to go round the wards collecting bets to go to the Bookies. I was in charge on night duty on this ward and the 2 ambulant  patients who took round the early morning teas gave a cup to a patient due to go to theatre, I was so scared I worked out a cup of tea was 150mls so I swore him to silence, passed a Ryles tube and aspirated 250 mls, couldn't sleep all day but as I went on that night he winked and gave me the thumbs up, thank God. Could go on but won't bore you all. Do you know the name of the nurse who wrote that wonderful account and how did you find it Peter?

backman

Thanks Rosemary,
I too was impressed at just how easily this lady seemed to capture her early training years,an inspiration to us all to do likewise? I must admit to finding this by accident as I was searching for details of a Nursing recruitment film made circa 1948-50ish which was based around QEH Birmingham.I bought a canister of cine film on Nursing as a Career and had it transferred onto disc, it features around 12 minutes of grainy B&W film of Theatre work and other bits selling Nursing as a Noble and valued Profession.I am fairly sure that it shows Matron of QEH presenting certificates to Newly qualified nurses with the octagonal pendant badge prominent.A shame that it is only part of the film and I wanted to see if the whole thing was available anywhere?

Hope that you are keeping well and recovering OK?

backman

Found what I was looking for! It is called "Student Nurse" and was issued by the British Council in 1944 and runs to 32 minutes.It is a great piece of its time and well worth a look;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93c2W0lwzXU

backman

wilfb

A veritable time machine Peter - and watching the first (highly recommended) provides links to a plethora of associated U-Tube films.

Thanks Peter, maybe we should provide a list of similar links - although they are readily available on the first...

Total magic!

Will.

Magpie

Brought back mant memories of training in QESN.our uniforms were yellow in 1st and 2nd years, white epaulettes after passing Part 1 Prelim and then Blue epaulettes in year 2. Blue dresses in 3rd year and also after qualifying, only got the long cap then. None of us liked those student caps! General nursing students wore Blue cloaks and Childrens Hospital had green. There were 85 in our PTS including 1 man, David McKay. Wonder what happened to him, think he was on the Isle of Wight at one time.
Lovely to see the Treloar Hospital film as well, there always seemed to be a special finding in orthopaedic hospitals with the wards opening onto the outside. I did my ONC at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital in B'ham. The patients stayed longer and you built up good relationships with them. Interestingly when I was returned to the ward after Recovery From my back surgery a few days ago I was looked after by a super nurse who knew exactly where to place the pillows. On the second night she asked me if I had ever worked at Treloars which I had, teaching there in the early 90's, she said that she recognised me as she had been on secondment there - talk about a small world. The children's ward had some fabulous old pictorial tiles around the old fireplace, I've often wondered what happened to them as it was demolished. I know from an Auctioneer friend that they were valuable. I remember in the Treloars prospectus that students could bring a horse if they wanted!

nursesue

wonderful article I can still remember the smell of the HP factory in Aston as if it was yesterday Time flies and the memory aint what it used to be but as a Good Hope nurse some of this article brings back happy memories

wilfb

Hi.

If anyone wants to write up short stories (genuine of course) about their own experiences - including (or not) photographs I would most certainly consider publication herein.

Will.

Lord Anthony

Thanks for telling us about this ladies interesting nursing history. Have downloaded the PDF, as you say Will, it is long, but well worth reading. The PTS days certainly
brought back memories of my own PTS (July 1952 at the West Middlesex Hospital. I did several years ago prepare a short article (6 or 7 pages) with photos about my own nursing history called 'Nostalgic Nursing Memoirs'. I would be happy to share it with the School of Nursing website if you are interested. It is not a great literary effort, certainly not as good as the girl from Birmingham!

Tony

backman

I for one would love to see it added to the SoN site..I believe it is exactly such recollections that should be captured and shared with others while they can. I don't think any of us are born authors and the important part is the content.

Look forward to seeing it?

wilfb

I second that.  All we need are the files to be sent to me at webmaster@schoolsofnursing.co.uk (including photographs) and we will do the rest.  Microsoft 'Word' files can include the photos and makes my life easier, but as long as the content is reasonable all should be OK.

NB. There are two articles already in the pipeline, plus the upcoming news and an article of my own - and Peter is threatening us with another (!) but I relish a challenge Tony, fire away....

Will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk