News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

London Hospital Badge

Started by myk1066, August 17, 2013, 11:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

I too am surprised it fetched that much.I agree with Will that these are probably unissued items.It will be interesting to see what the next ones fetch, I wouldn't mind one but won't pay this much on principle.

nursesue

have noticed a very nice North Staffs Royal infirmary on ebay Buy it now for £225!!!  :o

Magpie

I saw it too Sue, why is it so much do you think? Congrats also to person who got London Hospital EN badge tonight for £180, they pipped me at the end but heigh ho have to tell myself how much I've saved!! Why does this badge collecting get into your system and sometimes over rule your head.

myk1066

I've seen the North Staffs too, very expensive.  The London EN is very nice though & a rare one, only the 2nd I've seen in my few years of collecting.  Reading Lizzies article makes them limited compared to some other hospitals, who trained Pupil Nurses for quite a few years before the London.
Mike

backman

And the Staffs badge is with enamel loss to the bar! The problem is that when vendors see Nursing badges go for high prices for the rare items,that they use those prices as a benchmark for their own less rare lots.At least,whilst Sally Bosely's prices can be high,they are based upon rarity and condition.Unfortunately it is down the collector as to what we continue to pay that drives the market,and yes heart will often overrule head when it comes to it!!!! As long as the buyer is happy with their purchase the end price is only usually an issue for the underbidder.
On the basis of these prices is anyone interested in 850 assorted badges,cost somewhere between £20,000 and £150,000?

wilfb

Hi Peter.

850 eh?! Gift-aid them to me at the usual address... I promise to keep them safe!

Will.

barrysutton

What only 850, I think that my current medical insignia collection is somewhere in the region of 20,000 +++ items and still growing!!

backman

A lifetimes work,Barry? How many years have you been collecting? I know that when I picked up my first badges in the 1980s they were relatively easy(and cheap)to acquire.Unfortunately family commitments at the time meant that I could only dabble.Once I could afford to start collecting seriously the prices had rocketed and the supply had dried up.I believe you you and Edelweiss and perhaps a couple of others are surely the largest holders of Nursing badges in the UK,much more so than the RCNs holdings.
I have to say on most peoples behalf we would love to see more of them on here if you get the chance.Feel inspired to produce a book?

barrysutton

I started collecting in 1979, and was offered and purchased 80 Hospital/Nurses badges for £40 in 1980, I principaly have a military medical, dental & veterinary, insignia collection worldwide plus all allied medical trades i.e. Physio, X-ray, Theatre, Imunity, Ambulance, Para-Medics, Etc.
One area I'm particulary intrested in being buttons and Doctors insignia ie. B.M.A. Etc.

myk1066

I've just been sorting through some of my badges, not sure how many I have but I bet it's around 1000 mark including all the GNC badges & repeats as a result of collecting sets, there are probably more in all honesty!  What's nice about looking through them is the surprise when you see one you didn't realise or forgot you had.
Mike

Mick B

He won't remember but I can remember speaking to Barry in the early 80's, in either Hong Kong or Belfast about his collection which was quite extensive then. My Interest then was numbered infantry buttons and others pre 1881, that conversation stimulated me to look out for medical stuff. The majority of my collections went some years ago for a tidy sum but when I see some prices being raised I wish I had kept them.

barrysutton

Hello, I was in Belfast from 1982 - 1985 and Hong Kong 1986 - 1988, for some reason although I've sold some of my collection at a profit it still seems to have got larger.

wilfb

Hi Barry.

Sounds a little Irish to me Barry!! I wonder - if I build a new shed can I take care of your collection too please? I have a new method of keeping them secure - I cast them into a 1 ton concrete block, let it set, and then leave the door open so I can hear anyone using a cold chisel and club hammer...

But seriously, my own (meager) collection continues to grow too - even though I only seek particular badges - but like Peter, and no doubt others, collecting nursing badges has become an expensive hobby. But I would give my eye teeth for a genuine LH SEN with inscribed detail.... No harm in wishing I suppose....

Will.

myk1066

The latest LH, 'one of the new ones' has reached £102, check it out and there are still 3 days to go.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141056957610?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Mick B

Is there an opinion that these un-named London Hospital badges are originally from the same source, unused stock?

Mick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk