News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

There are More Questions than Answers!

Started by backman, September 28, 2015, 03:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

Not only a song by Johnny Nash but also a fact that when looking for an answer to one question I generally find several more questions! I was curious to try and pin down why the Glasgow Victoria Infirmary badge features a Puma(not an animal I usually associate with Glasgow).I did find this link though;
http://www.nhsggc.org.uk/media/232701/sn-may-2015.pdf     which tells me of puma features in the stonework of the old hospital.It also details some of the efforts being made to preserve the history of those hospitals now replaced by the Super Hospital!  If anyone is able to source the 4 magazines mentioned I would be really interested in acquiring them(Yes I know I'm getting rid of everything but that's not the point!)

nursesue

you mean that expensive super hospital that's has caused nothing but more expensive problems due to name changes and road/public transport signs?
I've always wondered why a wild boar head on the Bromsgrove. The phoenix on the Coventry is easy and just initials are just plain hard

wilfb

Hi.

Could this be the start of a new article Sue? I always feel a touch of envy at the Google results for our site which so often feature your first for us.... And I always thought that the 'Wild Boar' was a pub!  A bit like the London's 'three feathers'... And what about 'The Prince of Wales's'....  Does the foundation of all our hospitals lie down the pub?!

But seriously could "Animals & Birds' (of nursing badges) be a theme for your next foray into journalism?

Johnny Nash may well have something to answer for Peter....

Will.

caro7b

Morning!!
For Bromsgrove look up " the Ballad of the jovial hunter". Sir Humphrey Stafford killed an enchanted wild boar in the forests of feckenham, now Bromsgrove.
Obviously he was treated afterwards in Bromsgrove hospital suffering from Boar wounds (sorry that is me being silly)
Caroline

caro7b

I looked at you article Pete and I want those magazines too. Fat chance though. :'(

barrysutton

A fox's head inside a horseshoe with wings, Rhyl School of Nursing (The Royal Alexandria).

nursesue

I have been unable to source a copy of these magazines but I did download the digital copies - not the same but better than nothing and thanks for the wild boar info Wilf working in the NHS is enough to send any one to the pub and the Rhyl well that has me foxed! (LOL)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk