News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Nurse Revalidation

Started by Mick B, September 07, 2013, 11:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick B

Do forum member have any opinions about the NMC proposal that nurses are revalidated every 3 years to remain on the register?

In theory  I would have thought that if employers met regularly with their nurses and carried out their formal yearly personal development reviews as they should, it wouldn't be a huge problem to validate their practice.

Mick

backman

Surely this is pretty much what we should be doing currently anyway? Is it just a means of justifying the increasing registration fees year on year? It will take a lot more time and effort to police and I'm tempted just to jack mine in now that I've retired although I was intending to do a little as and when work to supplement the badge fund

Mick B

I think that there will be many nurses who keep up their registration with a little bit of work here and there 'just in case' or newly retired who won't bother to renew (myself included).

It certainly won't contain the numbers of nurses being reported, and if it takes up to 3 years for a case to be investigated and heard then they are already finding in their most basic task.

nursesue

The NHS is a mess so lets not give the nurses a payrise, increase the NMC fees and blame them for all the ails of the NHS Yes there are few bad apples out there but is it no wonder when training/further learning is expensive and moral is low.
I see it as an excuse for the NMC to justify further increases in their fees.

Magpie

The GPs think that their re validation is rubbish and doesn't cover the proper areas so I'm sure that the NMC in its chaotic state won't do any better. They need to be sorting out clearing all of the hearings against nurses more quickly, having supported nurses awaiting hearings waiting for at least 2 years, unable to work and then cleared of any offence the mental stress is huge. By the time nurses have undergone their professional development, mandatory courses and appraisals they are stressed beyond belief.

myk1066

I cant agree more.
I'm responsible for sorting out the staff mandatory training.  I have one short shift a month to sort this out and its a nightmare, were all up against targets, training cancelled at short notice due to capacity, finances and people not turning up etc etc.  Were all under pressure and its bad enough now trying to get everything done that needs to be done, then we may have the NMC on our backs, whose going to fund it in terms of time to get all that is required & cost of training towards revalidation?  I've only 8 years to go before I'm retiring, hopefully they will be as slow as they are in their investigations before it gets off the ground & I may be lucky enough to escape it.

Mick B

Until I started working for one specific organisation 13 years ago, I hadn't come across so many nurses who were actually scared of the NMC, not just an awareness of it and the implications for poor practice, but excellent nurses emotionally and physically scared of making a mistake. I thought it may have just been that job (NHS Direct), but since retiring and picking up a bit of work teaching and assessing I have noticed it is a majority of nursing staff I speak to.

Mick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk