News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

GNC state badges

Started by mcgivernmike, August 25, 2013, 02:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcgivernmike

Dear colleagues

It was a great shame that the UK stopped issuing state registration badges after the late 1970's.  For those of us who trained after these badges ceased to be issued, does anyone know the situation in relation to nurses who are fully registered as RGN's/RMN's etc wearing the old GNC badges who belonged to nurses who received them. Personally I cannot see any harm in this practice as long as it is a fully registered nurse wearing it, and I am sure the original owner might be proud that another nurse ic continuing to wear their badge during clinical practice. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

myk1066

Hi Michael
I can see no problem in wearing a GNC badge in the situation mentioned.  I find it stimulates conversation about badges and as a result I see colleagues rooting out their badges & start to wear them again with pride.
Again on the subject of GNC badges I still need help dating some GNC badges from the late 70's & possibly early 80's.
Mike

wilfb

Hi.

We have of course a previous discussion about wearing old GNC badges:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=199.msg956#msg956

It makes good (and not too long) reading.....

For myself I would advise that the wearing of an old GNC badge on a uniform (especially if issued to another) is not correct. Whilst, like others, I do feel the emotive pull of wishing to do so, such action is not an entitlement and if someone were to take exception could result in censure. However, I still feel that anyone finding sufficiently proud of their own profession to be willing to show their pride and respect by wearing one of the old GNC badges should be lauded.  Perhaps it is time for the NMC to heed what the profession has sometimes reminded it - that we still do need a badge that we can respect and wear with pride. I note with pleasure that universities seem to be awarding nursing school badges in increased numbers - as was the case with our hospital badges in the past.

Back to the future maybe?

Meanwhile, you really should not wear that badge Michael, but if you can be sure no one objects.....

Will.

Magpie

I remember you posting that Wilfb. Whilst in hospital recently I was amazed and very pleased to see so many nurses wearing their badges, when I told one wearing her Radcliffe badge how much one had recently gone for on EBay she was quite shocked - I told her to make sure it was well pinned!

myk1066

I was on a CBRNe train the trainers course last week & I was sat next to a nurse who worked at Wigan on ED.  She was a Tommies trained nurse.  I was telling her about how much the Tommies goes for on eBay, alas she wouldn't sell & I don't blame her.  She was flabbergasted to say the least & she still wears it!

Endoscopy

Hi Mike, it was me that asked that same question in the previous thread. I badly wanted to wear my 1926 'state badge' but I just couldn't make myself wear it openly. I wouldn't think badly of you or anyone else who decided to do it because I know how much it means. Make your own decision and enjoy your nursing.

Dawn R.
Nurses are born not made.

Mick B

What an interesting question. Personally I wouldn't agree that you should wear any badge or medal that you aren't entitled to at any time, especially in uniform. But that being said it does indicate that people still want their efforts rewarded by a token they can openly display. It would be a very tenuous argument that someone is qualified so should be able to wear the badge. But I wouldn't challenge it.

I wouldn't imagine the NMC would support the provision of a badge, evidently they are on a tight budget, they only have the 67 million quid from fees and the 20 million from the government. I can't wait to see next years finances broken down. Little rant over.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk