News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

British Nursing Badges - Jennifer Meglaughlin, theres one on ABE

Started by Mick B, August 02, 2013, 08:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magpie

Hi Mick! I was lucky enough to get a copy recently on eBay. When it arrived it had an inscription as follows: "Laurence A small "thank you" from Jennifer Meglaughlin. Sept 1990". There was also a letter from Her to Laurence dated 18th Sept 1990 which reads " Dear Laurence, As promised, here is a copy for you which I do hope you will accept as a very small " Thank you" for your help and encouragement to me. Yours sincerely Jennifer"
I presume Laurence  was Laurence Dopson who was a nursing journalist and he has replied on 25 September 1990 which reads " Dear Jennifer, What a wonderful book! Well worth waiting for! I was thrilled to receive it this morning, and even more for the inscription. I am just so glad I have helped, though I feel that I have done so little. Tell your publisher I think it is an attractive publication, and I have put up to NT the idea of a feature though I don't know if they will - I dispair ( his spelling!) some times. I hope at least they will let me review it. Again thank you so much. Sincerely Laurence "
In the acknowledgements she refers to Laurence Dopson, Chief Correspondent of the Nursing Times. The acknowlegdents are very interesting if anyone would like to to type them out as they show who were her influences I think.
There is also an order form loose in the book (A4 ) size - Hardbook copies were £29.50 and soft back £14.40.
I just thought that others in the SoN might be interested in this bit of history.
Rosemary

wilfb

Sarah Rogers

The copy was sold this morning..some one got a bargain!..compared to the others being sold. I keep hoping that Edelweiss's will be published soon?

backman

Wasn't me although I too found my original flyer advertising the book when it first came out!.As you say a bargain.
There is a definite demand out there for a publication covering the variety of nursing badges in the style of the original Meglaughlin book. The difficulty is however that I don't believe that any such publication can ever be an all encompassing true history of the subject as too much of the original detail behind the different badges has been lost with the disappearance of the Schools of Nursing.
I too look forward to Edelweiss' publication but in the interim perhaps a DIY effort at adding more details to the Photo galleries here might be a start.I am still a junior when it comes to identifying badges compared to some members on the site but now that I (theoretically) have more time on my hands perhaps I can tidy up some of my pictures and add what details I know ?

Mick B

I collect books and I keep my eye on Abe for bargains, hopefully that example went to a collector rather than a dealer selling it on at huge profit. I did think about buying it and offering it here at cost but don't know if there is a demand or if it would be allowed.

Rosemary, I have been known to buy books just because of an inscription or handwritten dedication.

Mick

myk1066

Hi all
I've an extra copy if anyone is interested in doing some badge swaps with me?
Mike

barrysutton

Hello,
As far as I'm aware when this book was published J.M. had 6 free copies, they being distributed as follows, she kept one for herself, gave one to her brother who was then the senior medical officer in Bermuda, gave one to Bob Scarlett (the photographer of the pictures in the book), one to someone at the R.C.N.and one to me.

Magpie

Hi Barry
I think my copy to Laurence Dopson must have been the RCN one thath she gave. Have just googled Laurence Dopson and read some finding bits about his journalistic career in nursing and medicine. Would love to know what he wrote for the BMA that got him sacked!! Bet he had some fun with the hierarchy of the RCN and senior nursing figures. Rosemary

Sarah Rogers

Didnt he die recent;y?, I think i readan obituary...but my mind may be playing tricks..perhaps it was someone else, and he is alive and well?

myk1066

Does anyone know how many copies were produced of JM's book?
Mike

Magpie

Yes Lizzie he died last year aged 88 years. He had spent 65 years in nursing and medical journalism. Originally started training as a medical student in Edinburgh but had to give up due to ill health but latterly said he wrote many obituaries and indeed had written one just weeks before he died.one obituary said that he was the person that everyone went to as he was a fount  of knowledge about medical/nursing issues. I remember reading many of his articles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk