News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

EBS Badge on ebay

Started by myk1066, April 12, 2013, 08:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

Did you see how much the EBS badge went for?  Over £500!  What does the S stand for on the badge?  Click the link to see the badge.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360627327890?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

wilfb

Hi.

£560 + 2.30 (I think) P&P... Quite stunning. I think that 'EBS' simply translates as East Birmingham School of Nursing, but I would love to see what others think, particularly 'nursesue' and 'backman'.  Or perhaps Barry Sutton.  I am really at a loss to explain the price - is there something special about the badge? There would certainly need to be to persuade me at that price.... Or was it perhaps a case of mis-typing?!

Will.

barrysutton

I think that 'East Birmingham Hospital' sounds right, actually its now Heartlands Hospital, Bordesley, Birmingham.

myk1066

The badge actually states EBS & has the words East Birmingham School of Nursing as well!

nursesue

I have the EBH version of this and even had a punt at this one but alas the final price was far too rich for my blood so it won't be heading towards Fife! I was accepted for my training at EBH as it was then - way back in the 1980s I think the badge was overpriced but the eventual winner was determined to have it. I may not have  got this but there will always be another affordable badge...... i assumed EBS was east Birmingham School of nursing

myk1066

I asked the seller if the winner had paid, as I too thought it could have been a typo, but no, it was paid for straight away.  I also asked the seller the ask the winner if they knew what the S stood for but not had a reply yet!
Mike

1051rachelh

EBS was for East Birmingham Sanitorium. This badge was only issued for about 3 years approx 1936-3
Rachel

nursesue

hi and many thanks for the info I now have 3 variants of the east B/ham and am almost sure there are more

caro7b

EBH also encompassed Yardley Green Hospital, in Bordesley Green East, and yes now part of Heartlands. My Mother had a pneumonic toms there 50 years ago. I remember all the TB patients being nursed in Glass rooms with the doors open to the outside.
I also have terrifying memories of a Formidable Nurse removing a hysterical relative from the ward by her hair. my mother's rationale was the nurse had previously been a policewoman and Knew how to deal with nonsense!!!!! Dear Oh Dear :'(

caro7b

I hate Apple spell check. pneumonic toms!!! I ask you. Pneumonectomy, and it must have been EBS sanatorium.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk