News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Royal Hospital Wolverhampton Hospital

Started by johnny4v, December 14, 2012, 12:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny4v

Hi Everyone
I wonder if anyone has a Royal Wolverhampton Hospital Badge with the name M E Phipps inscribed on the back. The M could be for Mary. I am interested in this particular person as I am writing a history of ME Phipps nursing career. Thanking you all in anticipation Regards Jonny4v

Sarah Rogers

Hi, what period /dates is she ?( i dont have it..sorry, but look forward to her history)
Lizzie

johnny4v

Lizzie
Thanks for your response I would think she qualified in the late 1920's or may be 1930,s Miss Phipps was Matron at the South Western Hospital Stockwell in 1968. I think she retired maybe early 1970,s The SWH went into the St Thomas Hospital Group then. I note you are a "Londoner" I am too.

Sarah Rogers

hi, what was your set number?, are you a member of the league... i was 472
lizzie

johnny4v

Hi Lizzy
I did a course for post grads. Miss Ricks was our Tutor - Fantastic Lady. We joined bigger sets. No I am not a League Member. Not many male nurses are!

Sarah Rogers

Do Join, a friend John comes often and a male tutor? John Brown..counts for prep(october one , talks are very interesting..aslo face book group ...Lizzie

johnny4v

There were 12 London Teaching Hospitals all with their own Training Schools back in the 1960/1970's. It was very unusual for Males to be accepted for training in the Training Schools of these hospitals. I do know from a visit to The Nightingale Museum that Leslie Graham was the first Male Student Nurse to qualify at The Nightingale School of Nursing - St Thomas' Hospital in 1972 and that Roderick Wells was the first male student nurse to qualify at St Barts in 1982. Does anyone know who the first male student nurses to qualify at the other 10 Hospitals. I wonder where they are now - probably retired
. I think this is an interesting piece of Nursing History that ought to be logged some where.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk