News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Badge display, cleaning + Insurance

Started by eric, January 20, 2008, 04:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric

I know I might sound daft but can anyone advise

1. best way to clean enemal badge without doing any harm to badge?

2. I have few with pins broken completely from rear and any way to replace pin without damage to badge (I don't have pin nor catch from rear)?

3. This may sound silly but does anyone insure their collections? Problem is if you include it with household insurance, they require proof of price BUT with collecting badges prices go up + down. How can one "prove" price and is it price one paid for badge OR price currently available from like of ebay, and if none came up on ebay how can one prove its value?

4. How do members display or store their collections? (I know mine is under the bed as wife does not like place cluttered, so its out of sight) I currently have mine pinned to some felt and stored in small drawer type finding system. I've changed and used several methods over past few years and this current one. What about rest of you?

Finally, as Wilf mentioned earlier about my article on "N.I. Nursing Badges" published in Irish Nurse, Vol 8, Issue 07, ISSN1463 - 3817; pages 31 - 32. Anyone wanting copy can email me and I'll return email with attachment.

Thanks
Eric

backman

Hi Eric,
I will attempt to respond to your different questions one by one. I have attempted a variety of display options and go for a mix depending upon where I'm displaying or transporting items.I've bought different medal display cases,both standard for storage and transport and wooden for display.  try   http://www.just-in-case.biz/
As these can work out to be expensive for most of my badges I mount them by area onto artists coloured card.These I then place between bubble wrap into a small drawered chest I picked up cheaply.

As far as broken pins are concerned,a reasonable jeweller should be able to repair these but I must admit I rarely bother due to the cost.

backman

As far as cleaning enamel is concerned,this is essentially a form of glass and so the secret is to avoid any abrasive cleaner.Some people suggest bathroom cleaners,others just soap and water but I get a reasonable result from a proprietry glass cleaner with ammonia and a soft cloth.Opinions differ re cleaning of badges themselves but I do give them an initial clean to remove surface dirt but don't overclean with abrasive metal polishes.I just find that they often show up a good deal of detail although I'm sure many of us have seen badly polished items that have lost resolution.That being said I know of some nurses who used to polish their own badges for routine wear on their uniforms.I recommend against putting badges through the laundry,which must be the biggest destroyer of old badges!!!

nursesue

hi guys -  I did hear a usful tip about cleaning anything with a hallmark. Cover the hallmark with a piece of sellotape  to protect it against overrubbing as it will eventually rub away
sue

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk