News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Portsmouth School of Nursing

Started by sandy, February 05, 2010, 09:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandy

Hi.
Does anyone have a Portsmouth school of nursing badge for sale, or know where I can get one? I lost mine and would love a replacement. I trained as an SRN in Portsmouth from 1974-1977.
Sandy.

wilfb

Hi Sandy.

All emails we receive on the subject of lost badges - and we do receive a few, receive a standard reply. Here it is:-

"Hello ....,

Below is some advice to another nurse who has lost her badge, (She followed it and got another!). *This is general advice to anyone who has lost a badge, and any actions you may take must be on the acceptance that all responsibility is entirely your own:-

Sorry you lost your badge but don't give up on it - some things have a habit of turning up. Did it have your name on it?

I, or you, can post a notice on our website forum.  You need to be a member. If you are not you can easily join and post your notice, it is straight-forward and free.

You could also join 'nursingbadges':-

http://nursingbadges.multiply.com/

Also free, and post a notice there... members are enthusiasts and may just be able to help.

Lastly, I would suggest joining ebay and watching http://collectables.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/Medical-Nursing-Red-Cross__W0QQ_sacatZ91325

Just in case it (or another) turns up there. You can also post a free 'want' advert on ebay, but of course have to pay for anything you buy; might have to bid - even if you saw your own badge, and might not win....

There is a final suggestion - ask the issuers - (I know, you did try and found them gone - but someone took them over – find out who) if there is any chance through them. Sometimes there is a member of staff from your old establishment with the new one who may be able to help, having retained an old badge as a momento.

You could also approach the manufacturers and ask them to make a duplicate - but this can be very expensive - even when it works.

*And there may be one other solution - have a replica made privately. One possible method here is to ask ebay member 'alicostelloe' to assist. He can be contacted here:-

http://contact.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ReturnUserEmail&requested=alicostelloe&frm=3692&iid=-1&de=off&redirect=0

You will need to be a member of ebay and sign in.  Please remember – we cannot accept any responsibility for any actions you may take.

To summarize: Try our forum (or ask me to do it for you); try nursingbadges; try ebay.  And, I am not joking - try the hospital laundy service if you think that it went there.

Fingers Crossed - hope that the reply helps.
Best of Luck, .... "

And very finally - remember what Peter said - it really might be a very long time before another genuine badge turns up - but equally ..."one may appear this week."

Will.
Ps. SoN can claim at least 3 successes arising from lost badge postings last year - possibly 4. We will be posting a full article as soon as it can be completed - but meanwhile the above may help.

backman

I would echo these suggestions but it may also be helpful to describe which pattern of badge it is that you are after so that members here can watch out for one. Good luck!

wilfb

Hello Again.

Peter is absolutely right Sandy. You can post a photo below using the 'Additional Options' link below and browsing to your photograph on your computer... Or you can have a look in our Portsmouth photo gallery and get it from there if you find it:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=search&search=portsmouth

Alternatively, just email your photo or tell us which badge it is if in the gallery and we will do the placing for you.

Will.

sandy

hi
I was very excited to find a picture of the  nursing badge i am looking to replace. Here is a picture of it, except i think this is the enrolled nurse badge, as it has a green background. Mine had a blue background for the SRN.  Here's hoping to succesfully find one!!!
Sandy

sandy

hi all
me again!!!
just looked at my old nursing certificates etc and THIS is the badge i am looking for, except with a blue background as opposed to the green. The wording is slightly different to the last one I posted.
sandy

wilfb

Hello Sandy.

No, I don't have any good news re the badge you seek - sorry, but it will come around. As Peter says, 'persistance and perseverance'...

But I do have a question - did you complete any of your training at St Mary's hospital Portsmouth?

Very Best.
Will.

sandy

hi Will,

Yes, I did most of my SRN training at St. Mary's portsmouth, but when I trained it was a group, so we had to do a bit a 'The Royal' (I did my casualty there), some at QA, (I did eyes) and most of the rest at St Mary's. I loved it.  I went on to do my midwifery at St Mary's Maternity hospital after a year of staff nursing.
Do you know St.Mary's?
regards, Sandy

visitor

Hi Sandy

I came across your post when searching for information on the Portsmouth School of nursing. I was wondering if you remember a 19 year old student nurse called Kimberley who was doing her training around 1976 to 1979 She lived in the nurses home opposite St Mary's and then moved to a house share in Kimbolton Road Porstmouth. She worked at both St Mary's and QA.

I was a student at Portsmouth Polytechnic 1974-78 and we spent some time together. I even lived at the nurses home myself!! If so do you by any chance remember her surname.

Thank you for your help.

Roger

wilfb

Hello Roger.

Apologies for butting in, but I feel that you are seeking personal information about a third party. No nurse is likely to supply such information.

I would advise that the best way forward is for you give permission for any forum member who may perhaps know the nurse in question, to supply your email address to her, and to perhaps let you know that they have done so. That way the person you appear to seek has the option of contacting you if she should wish to do so. *You would be responsible for any mis-use of your email.

I would offer the same advice to any forum member seeking to find another nurse.

But back to Sandy's last question - Do I know St Mary's?. The answer is no, not personally, but our next nurse history (Imminent) which we had to delay a few weeks ago, is about Sister Marjorie Earley, a St Mary's trained nurse (1930's) who went on to spend most of WWII in the QARANC (TANS) in the Middle East. We are working on the final proof right now and it should be open shortly. The news item about this is here:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

Bottom right column. We could use a lot more information about St Mary's. Sandy is the only nurse on site (that we know of) whom trained there.  

Best Regards,
Will B.
SoN Forum Admin.

visitor

Wil B

Sorry but I simply cannot agree that recalling the name of someone from 32 years ago is anyway an infringement of personal information.  I do recall that we did have some great student nurse parties in those days!!

Roger

backman

Hi Roger,I am sure that whilst your intentions may be honorable there is always the possibility of someone using this same approach to try to trace a person who does not wish to be approached.
When acting as a nurse manager if I received an enquiry from someone for a individual nurses contact details I would always take their details and ask the nurse to contact them directly rather than just pass on that information. I suspect many of us retain the same degree of suspicion and Wills advice reflects that.

As a point I too remember that nurses parties seemed to be a regular social highlight and even before commencing my own training I remember attending dances at Peterborough Hospitals Nurses Home in the early 70s.I'm not sure when such organised events fell out of fashion,I suspect when pressure on space led to the venues disappearing? Amongst my collections I have a few pictures of nurses dances from the 1930s.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk