News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Registration

Started by Sarah Rogers, May 17, 2015, 08:58:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah Rogers

HI, I am researching a nurse ( for an article for here :)) , and whilst she trained before WW1, her GNC badge is dated 1950. The GNC index has a asterix beside it , and the wording:                                           . This is seen beside quite a few people. The dd thing is that she would have been retirement age by the time she was finally registerd. She has a training school badge, but that hospitals nursing records are missing.  ( Iwill edit this when I locate the image with the GNC phrase on). many thanks, Sarah

Magpie

How peculiar, doesn't make sense does it? Good luck with your hunting!!
Best wishes, Rosemary

wilfb

Hi.

Yes, it does sound a little odd. I will be very interested to see those marks.  It sounds as if the 1950 badge is a duplicate GNC - she would still be entitled to ask for one at that time I think....

If you have problems uploading the photo here just wave! And send me the photo...

Will.

nursesue

I'm wondering if this because of changes with nurse registration and with the GNC at the time she trained. Not sure if you have a copy of the book by Eve Bendall "A history of the General Nursing Council for England and Wales 1919-1969" A good source of information of the changes in the GNC and of how the GNC was formed. There is a good section of the War Years 1928-45 and the Post war years 1945-50 where duplicate badges were issued to those lost during this time

Sarah Rogers

HI, thank you all- sorry got distracted yesterday, will upload the quote from the index.  I will update the article and sed it to you asap Will, thanks all. The badge does not say duplicate and is a 1950s number..if you know what I mean! Sarah

Sarah Rogers

Dear All, Found the phrase, sorry Will as I have not added it to the article as I sent it a few days ago...

An asterisk (*) placed after the registration number denotes that the name of the nurse has been transferred from the List of Nurses under Section 14 of the Nurses Act 19?? (sorry last two numbers are in the fold of the book)
This is taken from the 1950 GNC Index of Nurses.

Perhaps someone will know what that means? ... The lady has a training school badge and served in WW1 qith the QAIMNS-R ... so I thought that she would have been registerde earlier?

Sarah

nursesue

hi I am still trying to find section 14 but did find section 18 of the nurses act of 1943 - sorry but long quote
" In the Nurses Act 1943(18) there was provision for a list of "certain nurses not registered or enrolled". The Nurses " are persons, who within two years from passing of this Act,apply for admission to the list, who hold certificates by insititutions which appearr to the Council to be satisfactory for the purpose of this provision, stating that they completed,before January 1925, a course of training in an institution  and who satisfy the Council"

could this be an explanation?  it seems as if  2,200 ( from an enquiry of over 4,000) in November 1945 were added to the list. The post war years saw applications from nurses in occupied countries, including Jersey and Guernsey, being considered
Another important date is the the introduction of the NHS in 1948 followed by the 1949 Nurses Act

backman

That sounds plausible but I wonder if one of either section 14 or 18 refers to nurses being added to the new Roll rather than the Register as I thought that was what 1943 Nurses Act largely involved? I'm sure that there was similar provision for Nurses trained prior to the 1922 start but it is puzzling for one to wait that many years? More hunting necessary me thinks?

Sarah Rogers

her training records do not survive.- yes she trained in ? 1914 about ... so it is so long after. i know it was in place for people who registered in 1922- such as kate Walton, or her sister... When no family surv ive it makes it very hard to find the answer.
Sarah

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk