News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Lean Pickings!

Started by backman, July 14, 2013, 09:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

Just back home after my post retirement wanderings for nearly two weeks. During this time I visited copious amounts of antique shops,fairs and markets across the Cotswolds,Wales,Gloucestershire and back through East Anglia.Other than two SEAN GNC badges and assorted RCN badges I didn't find a single Hospital Badge although I did find a few hospital and nursing postcards.Does this suggest that most badges find their way to internet dealers or was I just in the wrong place? I have a London long weekend coming up at the end of the month and intend to try Spitalfields market on Thursday and possibly Covent Garden on the Monday but wonder if others had any suggestions for hunting grounds? Previously successful sources seem to have moved on from the likes of Gray's and Camden Passage so I looking for new ideas,anyone had any success with Bermondsey,Portabello or Alfies?
I know that I am downsizing but my addiction still needs some finding!Thanks for any suggestions

myk1066

I've never had any luck in London when looking round the places you mentioned however I've never been to Bermondsey, or Alfie's (where is this?).

Sarah Rogers

portobello was useless..as is covet garden and bermo dsey.... we found 1 badge...on holiday, a trained nurse plymouth...andmet the dealer was selling that irish one!....so yes i think most people know they ca get more on ebay etc... and was told by one seller...oh i sold 3 last week....urghhhh!

markwatson

hi lizzie what was the irish badge that was being sold hope your enjoying the sun

Sarah Rogers

nursesue

alas I have never had any luck finding badges at antique places or car boots. Did once get a good deal on some girl guide badges at a car boot which i sold on ebay, made a profit and then re-invested in more nice nurse badges. On a scorching day like today perhaps an ice cream would have been better!!! ;D

markwatson

backman

Just back from my stay( and I can really recommend the Savoy Hotel if you are prepared to sell off some of your badges!!)and not a badge to be found as expected.Did pick up some nice cards however and other odd bits at Spitalfields market on the Thursday. I enjoyed the Royal London Museum and was amazed at the size of the new Hospital! Unfortunately just missed the opening of the new RCN archive by two days but next time.

backman

Just walked round a large two day Antiques finding to avoid the film crews for Antiques Hunt)and found just one overpriced Certified Midwives badge and an Edwardian Postcard of Nurses on swings! Unfortunately one badge dealer who usually has some items wasn't there this time! Lean pickings indeed.

nursesue

it would have been nice to see you on bargain hunt

barrysutton

It would have been nice to have seen you on 'Bargain Hunt', however you wheren't getting any!!!

wilfb

Hi.

Perhaps if Peter changes 'Get together' for 'Bargain Hunt' we will eventually end up with a 'Meet'......!

Will.

barrysutton

Please tell me how does one downsize an addiction!!!

backman

Yeah well Barry ,I think I've managed to get my badge buying to one a day!!! I believe that it is quite possible to get carried away with "our habit" but apparently some people are able to just "Do an occasional badge to be sociable" I'm afraid I have always had the collecting bug,whether it was Airfix models,stamps,postcards,Militaria and bayonets,etc but this latest one is perhaps the longest lasting and even if I do cut back my collection I don't think I'll ever be able to walk past an antiques stall without a little look just in case Scottish Male nurse or SRN no1 is lurking amongst the treasures!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk