News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Traditional Uniforms

Started by myk1066, June 10, 2015, 03:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

How very sad it is we lost, have lost or are loosing a traditional uniform. I'm  not at all proud of my current uniform, scrub type ensemble.  Looking at the hats in the galleries is very pleasing.  If I had my way I'd bring back a traditional uniform, cuffs, apron, belt & cap.  It would instill pride in the hospital, make us look more professional, with a more traditional tunic & eppaulettes for men.  Recent visit to a local hospital where the females had the option of a dress was pleasing to see & despite the dress being off the shelf, did portray a more professional image.  Sod health & safety for those thoughts!

caro7b

Traditional uniform looked great. I actually wore dress apron cap and belt when I worked in Jersey about 86, it was bloody difficult to work in tho. I would have loved to be a Matron years ago wearing navy or black with a little lace collar ;D oh and don't forget the frilly hat........
I now wear a decent dress with a belt and a badge!! (Goes without saying). When I work bank at the hospital I wear a monstrous pair of pyjamas that make me look like a blue canvas blob tied round the middle with string. Mmh. Much easier to work in tho.

Magpie

I agree, the uniforms did look smart and attractive and did make you feel proud of your hospital. I trained at QE School of Nursing B'ham and loved our long caps, they made you walk properly!!! As a Sister at St James' in London I remember looking at this highly starched cap shape and had to be shown how to sew double line of thread and then make into pleats. Always admired the QARNNS students with their amazing caps. When I married my husband ( Dr in RAMC) and had to have my first child in Military Hospital I was terrified of the enormous Sister who swept towards me and seemed all white huge cap and red tippet on her dress. I was fed up with an overdue baby so drank a bottle of caster oil with some orange(ugh) then bumped my Mini all round the airfield before my antenatal that afternoon. The Major Consultant said I needed admitting for the OBE ( caster oil, bath and enema) and rang the ward and there was this woman. I was too scared to say I'd had the oil so I had that again, then I remember saying to her in a very little voice " do you use Moicrolax enemas?" To which she boomed " certainly not - what you girls need is a good 2 1/2 pints with a Higginsons syringe". I cannot describe how I felt!!!!!!
Going back to uniforms now that nurses are responsible for laundering their own uniforms the complicated things of the past couldn't be done at home. However I would query how many nurses are able to home wash their uniforms at the correct recommended temperatures to prevent infection. Heigh ho we old nurses know nothing though do we? Incidentally I did feel sorry for some male colleagues over the years in some uniforms looking a bit like straight jackets.

nursesue

oooo no much prefer my tunic and trousers Don't miss the hat or the frilly bits I just love the one i've got Easy to work in and washed at 60c on its own as per Fife instructions and I can claim this on my tax. Yes i still wear my badge with pride

backman

Always widely differing opinions on this issue.Whist the traditional uniform does tend to give people that warm fuzzy nostalgia kick,I'm afraid it is just that.We might as well want Dixon of Dock Green policing our streets and Red coated soldiers finding our wars.As far as practicality is concerned scrubs might look pants but they do suit much modern health care delivery. Perhaps,like the military,we should have a ceremonial or dress uniform? The concept of a lacy hat based upon a Victorian housemaid making nurses more capable is just plain silly however.
I am probably just envious of a pretty uniform as all of mine were truly awful.From long Dentist type coat/White doctors coat,collar and tie/ open necked tunic and also scrubs, none of them made me feel any more competent.Definite Uniform envy!!!

myk1066

I do like the idea of a 'dress uniform' which could be worn on special occasions.  I work with some large girls who look rather silly in their Alexandra style pants and their scrub tops that ride up and that's their admission.  Then there is the issue of trainers. What protection have they against fluids?  I wear shoes for that very reason but most of the girls I work with seem to wear fashion statements on their feet!  Giv me traditional every time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk