News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Hallmarks....

Started by wilfb, January 27, 2014, 04:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilfb

Hi.

Can anyone ID the hallmark below? Need to know....

Will.

Ps. you need to be to be logged in to see the photograph.

backman

Difficult to make this out from the picture,could you describe the details please Will?
Looks like K&S and a 925 amongst them?

I use this site which is quite a good one;  http://www.925-1000.com/index.html

backman

If that is K&S An Anchor Lion and letter, then its Birmingham,Kender & Stokes.Year will depend upon letter and style.
To Identify makers this is the best site I've found so far;   http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk

wilfb

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that so far - it really is amazing how fine some of the hallmarks are. However, I have the badge out and it is still defeating me!! Having re-photographed it, taken a large hand magnifier to it (the marks are fine and sharp) I still don't have enough magnification to be certain... But - since it is usually better in normal daylight I will hang on until tomorrow and use a close-up lens on my Nikon - that should do it. I will repeat the photograph then.  

Will.

Ps. One more try before then - see below when logged in May well be K&S two lions and a 'G'

wilfb

Hi.

Storms this evening are keeping me closed down - except for a few gaps.

That hallmark now looks very definitely like R&S with a lion passant followed by another version of a lion -or perhaps a 'G' - I thought that it might be Scots but cannot find a likeness. It is a very small hallmark.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Will.

backman

Sorry Will but sometimes these marks are just so small and indistinct it is nigh on impossible to make them out clearly.It is the 2nd symbol which is key.Could it be a crown which would mean Sheffield or is it a Leopards head for London.It appears that it is indeed R&S then the 2nd symbol,the Lion Passant and then the date letter.
Although I know you don't clean badges I find that sometimes a light wipe with a silver cloth does bring these into sharper relief.A clue obviously may lie in the badge itself but I'll understand if you are unable to give further info. I don't suppose that the initials could be F&S could they? Our old friends Fattorini & Sons did have items hallmarked in regions other than Birmingham.

wilfb

Hi Peter.

No problem - I am determined to crack this - if it is crack-able.  My problem is that I am not much good at hallmarks and although I have spent a good couple of hours or so going through dozens of possibilities I have found Nil. I couldn't get a better photograph yesterday, I will try again tomorrow. Weather permitting.

I definitely see an R&S etc, but you comment 'I don't suppose that the initials could be F&S could they? Our old friends Fattorini & Sons did have items hallmarked in regions other than Birmingham'. rings a bell - the seller of this one says that it was made by Fattorini - but there are no makers marks or paperwork to support that. I do have reason to think that it could indeed be a Fattorini product.

Will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk