News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Medico-Psychological Association

Started by barrysutton, June 04, 2011, 10:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barrysutton

Does anyboby know anything about this organisation, how many differant badges are there, when was it started Etc.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

historyman

It was founded in 1841 as the Association of Medical Officers of Asylums and Hospitals for the Insane, becoming the Medico-Psychological Association in 1865, and then the 'Royal Medico-Psychological Association'. It became the Royal College of Psychiatrists in 1971.
The MPA published the influential textbook, the 'Red Handbook'. Examinations for nurses were started in 1891. By 1922, there were two qualifications for MH nurses - offered by the RMPA and the GNC (but many nurses had no qualification). The RMPA ended its nursing qualification in the 1950s.

See: K Jones (1972) A History of the Mental Health Services. Routledge & Kegan Paul, London.
P. Nolan (1993) A History of Mental Health Nursing. Chapman & Hall, London.

John Adams

backman

Hi Barry I'm surprised you haven't had a lot more responses to this? We should be an able to at least make a start on this between us.The first pattern cross with suspension bar which features the seated winged figure of Psyche.This was available with standard scrolled bar or with the wording "With Distinction".This design was changed to feature the coat of arms after the MPA was awarded it's Royal charter in 1926.This later badge was available in bronze and in silver to be suspended from a ribbon however I have seen these in a variety of colours so am unsure what the authorised versions of these were? A separate red and white enamelled RMPA badge for wearing on the outdoor uniform was also available and I believe was available in a Certificated Nurse  and Mental Defective(MD) version.I can't help thinking I have also seen a version in green for Occupational Therapists? Perhaps someone can confirm.The last one I have appears much more scarce which is an oval  Blue enamel and bronze pin back badge finding a different coat of arms and the words Royal Medico Psychological Association around the outside.I am unsure what the date and criteria are for this one but looks circa 1950s? As well as these there are of course separate prize medals awarded by the MPA/RMPA by different asylums and often in the form of a cross with design relevant to the awarding hospital.These include several Welsh Asylums and Derby but I have few of these.Hope that is a start?

backman

Have just gone to my records and checked and the RMPA enamelled badge for Occupational Therapy Cert. is the same design as the red enamel but in blue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk