News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

just catching up

Started by nursesue, August 27, 2017, 03:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nursesue

so have we all returned from our summer hols? Spent an amazing week on the Llangollen/Montgomery canal with the most amazing weather - which makes a change from our Scottish dreich weather. Missed out on the lovely Worcester badge - poor wifi signal. Have finally gotten round to posting some more photos today See lots of nice new badges on ebay but what's with the expensive selling blue & green army badges??
I am currently researching the origin and history of my recently acquired brass version of the ERI pelican badge. I finally got the Woodlands Orthopaedic hospital badge It's been on my wanted list for sometime so was please to have won it at a very good price Was amazed at the size of it - also the Kidderminster was relisted due to non payment by previous winner so got that at 2nd time of asking! So all in all a rather nice August - but its back to work with new childhood immunisation schedule and organising flu clinics so guess that means winter must be just round the corner

wilfb

Hi Sue, and all of course!

We are just back (yesterday) on Crete after a 5 week sojourn in the UK!  Happy to see you gain your  'wanted's - I again did not buy a single one of mine, due to spending a good deal of time (and not a little money!) on ebay obtaining household items for Crete....

But..... I did buy one item from the British Legion for my military collector bother-in-law.  One of those small 1916 - 100th Anniversary of the Battle of the Somme lapel pins cast from the British brass shell fuse casingings with a delicate red poppy center - the enamel mixed, I am assured with a little mud from the actual battlefields. The cost in lives does not bear thinking about for too long.....

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/community/stories/remembrance/going-for-gold-the-somme-poppy/

The story of the poppy is told in the link above.

By way of thanks my bother-in-law gave us a book:-

'Nurses of Passchendaele: caring for the wounded of The Ypres Campaigns 1914-1918' By Christine E Hallett - Professor of Nursing History at The University of Manchester - around 12.99 from Pen & Sword books. Published 2017.

I don't want to says to much more here as I intend a book reviewed herein soon.

Beautiful pin, beautiful book. Pity the souls who had to die....

Will.

backman

I agree we probably need to update our links ,book reviews,etc. I am still in North Wales ,not a million miles away from Barry so had a most enjoyable day yesterday browsing just a fraction of his very impressive collections,so thanks for that.
Back home next week so will try and organise myself once I get back into the routine(of retirement!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk