News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Declining numbers of district nurses-e-petition, ends in 2 days , please sign

Started by Sarah Rogers, February 20, 2013, 07:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah Rogers

Hi all, whethr or not you hve worked/do ork in the community, many of us may well need a DN later in life(or earlier)...please consider signing this petition ASAP-- it was initiated from the Queens Nursing Institute, but closes in 2 days time..thanks, Lizzie

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/30029

Text taken from QNI web site

"This is our flagship campaign for high quality nursing in the home.

On 21 November 2011, we launched our major campaign report, 'Nursing People at Home'. To read more click here.

What is the campaign all about?

1 in 4 people over the age of 75 need a district nurse's care at home, rising to 1 in 2 people over 85. In total they visit more than 2.6 million people a year. The need for skilled home nursing is rising as the population ages, more people live with long term conditions, and people are discharged earlier from hospital.

Yet the number of trained district nurses has been finding for more than a decade, to fewer than 10,000 in England. At the same time, the number of health care assistants - trained to do specific tasks but who are not qualified nurses - has more than doubled.

Nursing at home is not a luxury or an optional extra; it must be at the very core of healthcare. Without a universal home nursing service, hospital discharge is more difficult, other services become overburdened and, most importantly, patients suffer.We need investment in home nursing to make sure patients are able to stay at home, safe, supported, secure and comfortable, and avoid unnecessary and stressful hospital admissions.

Baroness Sally Greengross, Chief Executive of The International Longevity Centre says:

"The need for skilled home nursing is rising fast as the population ages and people are discharged home earlier from hospital. The care they are given must be given by the right nurse with the right skills, which is why I am delighted to support the QNI in its vital campaign. I would encourage everyone who cares about the quality of nursing that they and their loved ones will receive at home when they need it, to support this campaign."

We are not campaigning 'against' healthcare assistants. We are campaigning for a properly skilled and trained home nursing workforce, so that patients receive the care that they need.

You may sign the finding epetition as part of your support to our Right Nurse, Right Skills campaign, which, upon reaching 100,000 signatures, will be eligible for debate in the House of Commons:
"

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/30029

nursesue

hi - signed it today Why are we reducing the number of nurses and thenwonder why complaints against us are on the increase???

Sarah Rogers

Hi Sue, thanks...I couldnt agree more...reducing trained nurse numbers...why do we always follow the USa when it cmmes to nursing...the grass isnt always greener on the other side of the fence!
Whilst i miss the patients..and some collegues....i dont envy those of you still working now.
Lizzie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk