News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

State Enrolled Assistant Nurses Association - When?

Started by Mick B, September 23, 2013, 05:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick B

Can anyone tell me when the State Enrolled Assistant Nurses Association was formed?

Thank you.
Mick

backman

Hi Mick,
The simple answer is that the SEAN was created by the Nurses Act which received royal assent on 22/04/1943.Scotland was some months later I believe.

Peter

backman

Mick B

Hi Backman, thanks for that, I have that info, the history of the Enrolled Nurse is very interesting, I am in the process of trawling through HANSARD.

I'm currently undertaking another little project and need the date that the SEANA was formed. There is something else that you may be able to confirm, that they were actually related to the National Association of State Enrolled Nurses and that NASEN was formed around 1961 when 'assistant' was removed from the SEN's title?

backman

Sorry Mike,I learnt nothing from my tutors"Read the question-Answer the question".

The Association for State Enrolled Assistant Nurses were certainly around shortly after the establishment of the Roll.The earliest mention I can find in the British Journal of Nursing is of an annual  meeting at the West Middlesex County Hospital reported in September 1947.Unfortunately the BJN was firmly anti the Roll,so I may have more luck in some of my Nursing Mirror magazines of the time.
I'll see what I can find out.

nursesue

hi have you tried to get hold of a book called " a history of the General Nursing Council for England and Wales 1919-1969" by Eve R.D Bendall and Elizabeth Raybould ? A worth whileread  on the history of the GNC and all aspects of nurse registration/enrollment May have the answers to some of your questions
sue

Mick B

Thank you Peter that would be really useful, I can guess the content of the letters pages.

Hi Sue, I have that book and an interesting (and enlightening) read it is, personally I think it should be required reading on the curriculum.
I didn't really make myself clear in the first post, I have extensive information on the history of Enrolled Nurses, it was that research that prompted me to originally join this forum. All that I need is the date the SEANA was formed (well obviously not all that I need, it never ends!). I would guess, as Peter says, it was around shortly after the roll was established.

Mick

Mick B

After wading through the BJN, I have found my answer - It may be of interest to other forum members.

http://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/data/VOLUME091-1943/page119-volume91-october1943.pdf

Mick

backman

That is interesting,particularly that it originated in Essex as the medal I have is from Essex County Council for training of assistant nurses dated 1942. It featured in the newsletter 28?

backman

the arguments sound very similar to some of those recently about opening up RCN membership to Health Care Assistants.Perhaps history repeating?

Mick B

The arguments against were getting more and more tenuous each month. The one about the cost of setting up and running of the roll coming primarily from the fees paid by the Registered nurses would, I think, have been understandable, bearing in mind what many of us think about our fees and where the money goes today.

You are right about the anti - HCA or HCSW brigade they are certainly out there.

As for the BNJ, these few lines in the June 1943 edition perhaps indicates where many people think it all went wrong  ;D

A Student Name writes:
"We students are looking
forward to the- admission of Assistant Nurses in this
hospital, hoping they will relieve us of some of the drudgery
in the wards."

wilfb

Apologies if this out of sequence - Peter - yes it was News Page 28 where the badge was displayed (lt bottom Column):-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/Newspage028.htm

But we were not sure of the status of the recipient I recall:-

"And also those who cared about rewarding their efforts. The Medal below was awarded to one Gladys Prior of St Margaret's Hospital, Epping on July 31st 1942. It is marked 'Training of Assistant Nurses'. I am personally uncertain whether it was to an assistant nurse, or a nurse who taught them. Solid silver. Hallmarked. A serious piece of nursing history from those with the foresight to recognize the value of not only Assistant Nurses but also the permanent recording of that history"...

Will.

Magpie

I seem to remember that the original SEANs were able to gain the qualification without any training other than hospital experience and being recommended by their Matron.

wilfb

Hi.

Yes, I can't offhand remember all the details but SEN's were still qualifying by virtue of experience in the early 70's. I was a pupil nurse teacher at the time and remember the difficult questions put to me by several experienced nursing assistants about why they should continue their courses when they could simply apply via their service side SNO for direct approval by the GNC.  At the same time there was no guarantee that the SNO recommendation would be accepted by the GNC, but refusal did seem unlikely if the SNO gave support.

Luckily none of my 'groups' sought to leave the course.  Must have been my charisma! Or the fact that I was male and just a few years younger at the time......

Will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk