News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

How do you display your badges?

Started by Magpie, September 28, 2013, 05:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magpie

I now have a good collection of badges but would love to hear from others how they display their badges etc. I started off with them in a box then got collecting albums from Smiths with coin holder sheets but as you know the badges all vary in size and some didn't fit! I also collect medals awarded to nurses in WW1 which are usually mounted and have them in individual files with all of their research paperwork. My collection of old nursing and histories of hospitals is now 2 deep on each shelf- there's no more room for another bookcase so I guess packing them in boxes? All ideas gratefully received!! Guess this is why I chose Magpie as my name.

backman

I've tried a variety of display mediums and have a few shallow Striker cases and one larger wooden display case(nice but expensive). For some themes or regions I use coloured artists mounting board which I cut with a craft knife so that I can pass the pin through without damaging it.This allows the badges to appear flush with the board and for the size board I have chosen it allows me to have 12 badges per card and then I can store several separated by sheets of bubble wrap to avoid scratching in some storage drawers which I picked up.I have transported numbers of these cards together and been able to display them relatively easily at hospital events etc. If you search in the albums for "Take on large table " you will get an idea of how they appear, also check out;  http://www.just-in-case.biz

wilfb

I'm afraid that I am a fully qualified member of the sin-bin!  I too keep my collection in a box - a large oblong one with 'Amazon' labeling. I then wrap each item individually in bubble wrap - even if they have their own original boxes, and pack them like sardines in the larger box. Hardly suitable for display, but most of the options I would like - my brother-in-law has a collection of military badges in a display cabinet and several finding glass fronted display frames. Very nice. Very expensive. But undoubtedly enhancing the display of any collection.

But my box method isn't of much use when attempting to display. I use it mainly because I am located in geographically distant places and sometimes need to move my collection safely en-mass without a removal van... It doesn't help with display though.

I often consider the company in backman's post, and perhaps peter will forgive me for wanting to watch the pictures, but this video says it all for me:-

http://vimeo.com/41367257

The prices look good too, but again, I suppose you can make your own if you consider the matter carefully - and understand that you still need the materials and a time (not to mention skill) to put all together....

Magpie

Thank you both so much, really helpful. Instead of pricking my fingers trying to pin badges onto paper why didn't I think of the artist board and a craft knife? The 2 links that you have given me are really good too.

nursesue

Mine are stored in a plastic storage box - too many to display buy I do keep a photo of them on my computer It helps when a nice badge comes up for sale as I don't have to trawl through boxes to find the one I'm looking for. I keep them in the original boxes and find the small plastic Fattorini ones the best as they have clear lids. Seems such a shame to keep them hidden but i don't have wall space to put show cases on Like the idea of the books to keep coins in though Must check out the suggested sites

johnny4v

If you go on Ebay  and search for - 1 Glass Display Case Black 32 Division Badges Sport Token Coins Medals - £10. I use this type of display case for my badges and as you can see it takes 32 badges per case. The company that sells these cases in " just-in-case-co." The badges look good in this case and he sells a variety of display cases with various numbers of compartments these will accommodate badges of various sizes.
I am sure you will like this type of display case and it only costs £10.

wilfb

Hi.

I think that we are all recommending the same company - 'just in case' - can't be bad!  It may of course be simpler to buy from ebay. I don't think that we have fallen foul of our own 'no advertising' rule as we are only offering individual opinions.

Will.

Sarah Rogers

Hi, we went to Hastings todAY, not a badge insight, buut I did buy for £15 an old cutlery canteen, noit big (heavy for Harry to carry back to the car!), and it has 4 shallow drawers,(in total it is 9 inches high, 11 deep and 19 wide) , will take plenty of badges! It had been used to display little named teaspoons.  A bargain compared to the engineers chests around.

Mick B

That is a useful link for the display cases, I am (at last) cataloguing my collections and also my book collection, stimulated by a conversation with the solicitor dealing with my will!

Magpie

Lovely to see all of your replies, thank you. I, too, have been thinking of cataloging my books, medals and badges but keep finding other things to stop this - mainly the thought of actually starting to do it!! I bet Backman has already done this so any advice welcome. Mike - did your solicitor say that they had to be listed with your assets?

myk1066

Re cataloguing badges.
Is there a format in which to do this at all?
Mike

wilfb

Hi,

I think that right now individuals decide their own. Edelweiss (contributor - not a member herein) was going to produce a CD I think to allow people to catalogue their badges, but I don't know if she has completed that project yet... I will ask...

Personally keep a database - I follow the format on the SoN Irish Galleries of 'eric':-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Gallery2/EWilkinsonDT2/EWIBadges1/Badge001.htm

and just add personal columns such as date purchased, amount paid etc.  I also keep all original purchase receipts.....

There is a main page of course:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Gallery2/EWilkinsonDT2/EWIBadges1/page_01.htm

I am hoping that eventually the database will include all the details listed on the individual badges and that this will be available to all, but that is what I do for my own....

Will.

nursesue

I spent a long snowy weekend ( and we do get lots of them up here!!) photoing and transfering pics to computer. Used lots of batteries ( my digital camera eats them for breakfast) and documenting them on an excel file. Then i transfered them all to a CD - took forever and the patience of a saint but finally did it Now I update as I go along and now transfer to a data stick

backman

I have to confess that I've been pretty poor at keeping my cataloging up to date,so it's on my to do list.My system is pretty similar to others as to Title ,shape,dimensions,weight,material,type,Maker,date, Details,etc. I also try and put any information re the training school where known and mottos etc.

it would be nice to see this sort of info as a standard but anything is better than nothing and the experience of the RCN's Meglaughlin collection should be a warning of doing nothing.Despite holding these the RCN had generally just thrown them together in 5 large boxes with no real idea of what they held.It was thanks to Edelweiss James and Jo Dunstone,that in 2003 they managed to produce the illustrated catalogue that lists some 740 different items.It certainly was available in the old RCN library upon request as were JM's original volumes of notes on the collection.I haven't been down for quite a while but used to consult these a lot when I was a regular attender at Cavendish square for meetings.

Mick B

Quote from: Magpie on October 04, 2013, 01:49:43 PM
Lovely to see all of your replies, thank you. I, too, have been thinking of cataloging my books, medals and badges but keep finding other things to stop this - mainly the thought of actually starting to do it!! I bet Backman has already done this so any advice welcome. Mike - did your solicitor say that they had to be listed with your assets?

No, the executors can sort value of estate etc when I'm gone  ;D Mick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk