News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Ebay auctions ending early.

Started by Sarah Rogers, January 13, 2013, 05:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah Rogers

Some of us may have been keen on this badge
:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170972646859?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

which had a very interesting history, and more recent owner . It appears that all auctions can be listed early!..one way or another
Lizzie

nursesue

I wondered what had happened to it -  so much for the seller saying everyone has a chance!! I never end a listing early for a higher "off ebay" bid even though I have been asked to. I've had this done to me so many times and its annoying so thats why i refuse to do it. One guy in Australia did it to me twice with the same set of badges. I reported it to ebay but nothing was done about
sue

myk1066

Sarah Rogers

Hi , as the link above, a large LH badge, with good box, said he sold it for 450, but the ebay rules say it can go early to the top bidder...but that top bid was £150, so i am sure that ebay will dismiss it also...as with you Sue, theyve sadi that there isnt a case before...things just disappear, even when ive had a bid on them...not really an auction. The guy says there will be more items going on....i think i know which nurse it had been secondly owned by..she taught me a lot!
Lizzie

myk1066

Thanks for that Will, thought above link was wrong as I copied it & pasted it with no luck..
Myk1066

Sarah Rogers

sorry- glad the link was found, nice badge, poor photo.wonder who bought it!?
Lizzie

myk1066

Yes, I wonder who bought it?  All rather cowboyish if you ask me!

Sarah Rogers

e
bay allow it..its in their rules! lizzie

wilfb

Hi.

Yes the behaviour in question is within ebay rules so one cannot complain. Well it is possible to protest the ebay rules, but - I think that ending an auction early is rather like shooting oneself in the foot (guaranteed to make you hop!!) - as the purpose of an auction is to sell to the highest bidder. Who knows, someone may have bid higher than the price paid (whatever that was) and the seller would have made a bigger gain.

Ending auctions early seems a bit silly to me - perhaps a personal interest such as a relative wanting an item or a seller desperate for immediate cash might be reasons, but to me an auction is an auction. My opinion is that once bidding has commenced any item subject to a bid should be regarded as sold immediately. I for one don't like the idea of committing money (and perhaps missing alternative items) only to find that a private sale during bidding has caused me to lose an auction.

There seem only two options. Prevail upon ebay to change the rules or avoid sellers who are likely to stand one up in the middle of bidding. Unless I don't understand....

Will.

backman

I must admit that I dislike the practice of ending auctions early,it just seems unfair.
I'm afraid however I've taken to selling badges at a Buy it Now price for what I hope are not too exorbitant prices that reflect their worth but I'm sure that is still down to the luck and timing of potential buyers.I would quite like to be able to offer badges at reasonable costs for newer collectors on limited budgets but I suppose everything comes down to market forces in the end?

nursesue

All I know is that I got nowhere complaining to ebay about the Aussie seller Still think its unfair.  Pete your prices are more than reasonable and I can vouch for that being a regular buyer. As for the aussie seller well i won't be tempted to bid or buy from him - cutting my nose to spite my face?? Yes but its the principle! Thanks Pete for todays wee parcel xx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk