News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

How do you display your badges?

Started by Magpie, September 28, 2013, 05:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barrysutton

I have to confess that the bulk of my collection is not catalogued however like others its on my 'to do' list, only got about 60,000 items relating to medical insignia to go!!

Magpie

My collection pales into insignificance then!

barrysutton

Everybodies collection is what it is to them, there are no collection that pales into to insignificance along side someone elses, you could have one badge and to you its the 'Bees Knees', I've been a serious collector since about 1979 and have always collected medical insignia however I do collect to other fields and my current collection is about 300,000 items give or take a few.

Magpie

Thanks Barry. I do love my collection and can't believe how many badges, books and medals I have collected over the years. I find the research on the WW1 nurses medals finding, amazing young women who went off to war with it seems, little idea of what they were letting themselves in for. I have one feisty QAIMNS sister who took on the War Office and led a rebellion of the Sisters who had finished their war service, were awaiting transport home and ordered to go back to the wards and work to cover shortages. The letters are so quaint, she was to be banned from any other military work!

myk1066

That's finding, I do hope we get to see these letters, re QA nurses.
Mike

wilfb

Hi.
Perhaps we can persuade Magpie to upload some - or perhaps do an article for SoN...

Will.

Magpie

Happy to do either but would have to wait for help from children on how to do these things! Tried to photograph badges without much success so far. All of the info from National Archives seems to come on A3 sized paper as well.

backman

Would love to see more info on these, Thats what children are for!

Can anyone help me with a link to the site selling plastic display stands as used by museums as I seem to have lost it.I purchased some after seeing these used by the RCN for their display at HQ a few years back and I could do with some of the pendant ones,I think they are meant for displaying pocket watches?

wilfb

Hi Peter.

What shape are/were they?

Will.

backman

They are like small versions of a plate display stand.I've added a couple of pictures to my album for people to get an idea.
I have since found the company and recall why I didn't buy more and that's mainly due to the price!

http://www.dauphin.co.uk/CoinStand.htm  but I was looking for something to hang pendant style badges from,as I'm sure I saw them use at the RCN.I think it was the watch stand one but it's a bit pricey for my liking!!!!

myk1066

Hi Peter
Are those in the gallery, you have put pictures of, the larger or smaller stands?
Mike

backman

Having checked I'm pretty sure they are the small as the majority of the badges are aprox. 30mm

wilfb

Ok. Are the stands for individual badge display - ala RCN?

Oh, I see the uploads now Peter, I have the details somewhere stored on one of my drives. I will try to locate them if they are still available - but you might be quicker yourself (apologies) as we are off to Venice in a couple of days and are finding time pressing right now. 

Will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk