News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Ulster Volunteer Medical & Nursing Corps

Started by myk1066, April 14, 2013, 11:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

barrysutton

This refers to the Medical & Nursing section of the Ulster Volunteer Force formed by Carson a Belfast M.P. in 1912, when the 1st World War broke out they enlisted and became part of the 36th Ulster Division.
They had a hospital at Cookstown which in W.W.2 became a Canadian Hospital after which it became the British Military Hospital in Ulster which susequently moved to Musgrave Park Hospital grounds in Belfast finally (closed 2011) named the Duke of Connaught's Military Wing, Musgrave Park.
There are a number of items of insignia relating to this Corps, a hospital medal with bars (denoting years 1914 - 1919), a pendant, badges X 2 types (i.e. with and without safety chain holder), large size black composition buttons as worn on the nurses capes (one /cape) and a number of Red Cross/U.V.F. armbands and a badge with med bd at the bottom (medical board).

myk1066

Many thanks for that.  The badge on the link, it it an official badge or a type of fund raising thing.  I've the UM&NVC badge in my collection.
Mike

Sarah Rogers

Hi, it looks like a replica to me?.. that dealer seems to buy them and box them up? selling them back on ebay.
Lizzie

barrysutton

The badge that has recently appeared is one of three(3) types that have been commercially produced to assist funds for the current UVF and have nothing to do with the original UVH&NC.

markwatson

hi myke the badge that bazbez is selling is not an original badge the original badge had only the red cross in the middle eric wilkinson has an original UVF nursing badge the badge bazbez sells is a replica it sells here in belfast for £4

barrysutton

THe badge currently on ebay at £50 from 2010elecman is a genuine one.

Sarah Rogers

hi, whats the ebay number please, id like to see it..thanks, Lizzie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk