News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

student nurse training

Started by gillbo, October 21, 2007, 06:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gillbo

I have been reading with interest your page all about the history of nurse training/education. I trained fron 1973-76 at UCH London, and we were one of four hospitals in the country that were undertaking an "experimental" type of training.  It was called the modular training with continuous assessment.  There was a new intake of about 45 student nurses every 8 weeks and we then had to complete a 10 week module of training in a specific area, be it medicine or surgery also specialities such as obstetrics and paediatrics. Each module consisted of 1 week in school learning about what you may nurse in your area, 8 weeks on the ward, then a further week in school putting it all together and taking an exam.  The very academic girls were singled out an actually took there finals after 2 1/2 years.  I believe it was suposed to be the forerunner of the project 2000 training that later came into being. I remeber being interviewed by someone who was monitiring the experiment.  Unfortunately I don't know which other hospitals were taking part.  hope this is of interest.

backman

Thanks Gillbo,
I had vaguely heard about this when I started my nurse training in the mis 70s.
Apparently one of the other hospitals involved was St.crispin and Princess Marina Hospitals SON in Northampton.There is an article from The journal of Advanced Nursing from may 1976 which I will try and track down which summarises the project.It sounds as if this was indeed a pilot for P2K training?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk