News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Nurses presenting 'purses'

Started by eric, February 08, 2010, 07:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric

Recently came across photo at RCN in Belfast showing nurses presenting 'purses' to a Countess Granville G.C.V.O. ; Picture probably taken at Hillsborough, although this uncertain. Anyway, my query is what are 'purses' and why would nurses be giving them to powers that be?

A colleague has found out finding about Countess Granville.
The Countess Granville pictured is probably the wife of William Spencer Leveson-Gower, 4th Earl of Granville. Earl Granville was 2nd Governor of Northern Ireland from 7 September 1945 to 1st December 1952.   Lady Rose Leveson-Gower, Countess of Granville G.C.V.O., was formerly Lady Rose Constance Bowes-Lyon, 3rd daughter of the 14th Earl of Strathmore and older sister of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.   She was born 6 May 1890 and died 17 November 1967.   

The Earl's ancestors originated in Sutherland and Galloway in the 1700's so the name would have no connection with any Granville area in Northern Ireland.

Unfortunately all this does not throw any light on the reason for the Presentation of Purses!

Any ideas?
Eric

wilfb

Eric - Hi.

'receiving purses'... I don't suppose that the countess could have been 'receiving nurses' and that the photograph was incorrectly titled? No, I don't really think so either and really have no idea about 'purses'.

I do note the studious prevention of direct physical (or eye) contact in the photograph - all wearing gloves no eye contact.

Will.

backman

Posted a similar message on Fran's site but the presentation of purses was associated with the constant efforts to raise funds to support the Voluntary Hospital system pre NHS.Benefactors would donate sums of money from a few pounds to several thousands for either specific building appeals or the endowment of beds,cots or the running of services.These purses would then be presented to the local worthy who was overseeing the appeal,often by nurses at the annual prizegiving event.The RCN archive has links to several of these purse presentations ; http://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/

The struggle to keep hospitals solvent can be seen in many different forms:Hospital Sundays,Hospital Carnivals,Pound Days,Linen funds,Egg Days,etc,etc.
Perhaps if the recession continues to bite we may have to rediscover some of these...?

wilfb

"Hospital Sundays, Hospital Carnivals, Pound Days, Linen funds, Egg Days, etc,etc.
Perhaps if the recession continues to bite we may have to rediscover some of these...?"

It may not be such a bad idea Peter - involving people directly could have a beneficial effect all round. Perhaps hospitals as organizations would realise to a greater extent the importance of the communities they serve to their welfare, and the communities they serve might realise the importance of their hospitals to them and give more support, directly and indirectly.

Personally I have a strong aversion to the way that the NHS has become so politicised - beaurocratic - (and Lycett-Greenised!) and the way donations are now so often sought by professional fund raisers. The latter can't be cheap.... Give me the personal touch every time. Bring back real hospital matrons and chief male nurses, hospital sports days, carnivals et al.

That which one feels involved in becomes important - any nurse who has had to visit Matron because of that broken thermometer knows that!

backman

As a beneficiary of the largesse of our Hospitals League of Friends,I couldn't agree more.We are unusual in that our hospital has a very active LOF who fund raise through Hospital shops ,Fetes,ect and I have been lucky in they have supported the provision of some very good quality Manual Handling aids which the Trust would probably have not considered a priority. I believe that the myth that the NHS is free to all means that many people feel that they don't have to use it's resources wisely and can damage or waste equipment with impunity.As another who had to explain to the Ward Sister why I had broken several thermometers( after cleaning them I left them to dry in a reciever on top of the ward steriliser & surprisingly they burst!!!)I still have an appreciation of cost.

backman

Just a brief update to this thead, I have recently been succesful at auction in bidding for a purse from the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital which was presented to Queen Alexandra for the fund to support the opening of the Queen Alexandra Memorial Home on Saturday 15th October 1932.The purse which appears to be of white silk embossed with the hospitals coat of arms contains a small card with the details of the amount (£10) and the donator .Apparently once presented the purses were returned to the individual as a souvenir
It appears that some 500 purses were presented raising £15,400 towards the cost of the new nurses home.
I hope to photograph the items and add these in the near future.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk