News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

RGN Scotland

Started by myk1066, November 24, 2015, 11:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

Theres a set for sale the moment with Scotland RGN badge & a GNC SRN badge, along with other badges to the same nurse.  Did RGN Scotland nurses have to register with the GNC in England & visa versa in order to practice south/north of Scotland's border?

nursesue

No - we can all practice in each others countries without the need for re-registering I'm english and trained with the GNC and work in Scotland. If and when the SNP get indepencance that might be another story but until then we're all one big happy family  :D

myk1066

Hi Sue
Thanks for your reply.  I know what you mean but there a a Scotland RGN 1961, with an accompanying E&W GNC badge, 1970, for the same nurse, she trained in Scotland & is registered on both the Scotland & E&W nursing registers as RGN in Scotland & SRN in England.

nursesue

as I understand it  English and Welsh nurses paid a once in a life time fee to the old GNC I believe in Scotland they had what was classified as a live register and you paid yearly - similar to the current NMC system. Still prefer the old GNC system as the new re-validation process is a pain in the a$* >:(

barrysutton

Also as far as I'm aware nurses who trained in Northern Ireland, Eire, Isle of Man, Channel Islands and Gibraltar don't have to take any other registration out to practice in Great Britain.

myk1066

Thanks for that guys.  I wonder then why she is registered in both countries, albeit in a married name in England.

backman

That probably answers the question. When changing any details such as after marriage the nurse must notify the registration body,as they do today,to amend the relevant register.Perhaps she had moved to England and just notified the GNC rather than the Scottish board? she would have been issued with a renamed badge by either body but would have been required to return her previous badge,which she clearly didn't do.

Oh, and by the way,the GNC did originally have an annual payment charge similar to Scotland but this was replaced by the one off registration charge(not sure when though?)

myk1066

Re the set I mentioned, did anyone buy the Victoria Infirmary Glasgow badge?  I won the rest but didn't get the afore mentioned-possibly split forever!
Mike

nursesue

thats sad when sets get split - hope you find it

myk1066

I know, just had a message from the seller to say the lady who bought the badge wants to keep it & wont swap for the VIG badge I have!
😞😞

eric

To answer Barry's comment, those in NI paid a registration fee (was supposed to be for life when I qualified - until things changed) and as this was with one of 4 regional councils joined to GNC in London, allowed one to practice anywhere within the UK.
However, Eire or republic of Ireland is another country and nurses registered here must apply (and pay fee) to GNC to join in order to be able to practice in the UK. Similarly same procedure from anyone in UK wanting to practice in republic of Ireland must pay fee to An Bord Altranais (Irish for nursing board). Each EEC country member can apply to relevant member state to practice in another member state upon confirmation that they are indeed registered, training was regulated and approved and pay relevant fee.
Eric

backman

If the name on the set is Helen Brown ,then that would be me then.I'm afraid I haven't been taking too much attention on eBay of late. I got this for a client but as long as a swap is of a similar condition I will be more than happy to trade.It will have to be when I get back from my current travels however? Wales,Oxfordshire and Belfast this time so back home in ten days time.

jock57

when I got my original badge in Scotland (EN) it came with a form you had to fill in to get it engraved. I got mine engraved later with my married name . I also paid original pay for life fee to GNC. I may still have original letter!.

myk1066

That's great news re the badge & it will enable me to keep the set together.  Thanks for that.  I shall root out one of my RV badges.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk