News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Designs in History - Fobs and medals

Started by nursesue, May 18, 2008, 07:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nursesue

Not only do badges come as a solid piece with a rear pin attachment but some are designed as medals or have a fob type appearance.  One of the most famous medal type is the large and heavy one from Charing Cross Hospital.  The badge consists of a Maltese cross with four fleur-de-lys, in each corner, was made into  a bronze medal  and it is rumoured that the bronze metal was  from a cannon captured in the Crimean war. The ribbon it's attached to is a supposedly from  the Colonel in Chief of the Household Brigade  who was thrown from his horse and taken to the hospital. In order to show his gratitude for his treatment he asked Queen Victoria for the right of nurses at the hospital to wear the ribbon of the regiment.  As already mentioned an impressive medal and ,as a nurse, I wonder if it accidentally hit someone whilst being nursed by someone wearing it.
An example of a fob type is the Queen Elizabeth School of Nursing in Birmingham. The badge was brown in colour reflecting the brown shoes and cloak, of the QEH uniform. It consists of a bar and octagonal badge, The design of the QEHNTS badge depicts a shield & is taken from the crest of the General Hospital which in its turn is founded on the crest of Dr.Ash (the founder of the GHB). The shield is in  gold and blue, is derived from the arms of Bowes and the lions from the arms of the Lyon (paternal arms of the  late Queen Mother) and honours the naming of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital . The dolphin is taken from the arms of the Tippets. Others include the British Thoracic Society, founded in 1924 (under another name) its design and name changes reflecting  amalgamations of similar bodies. The lower piece shows the Lorraine cross, a religious symbol from the Duke of Lower Lorraine with the lion representing Great Britain. The first badges were issued in 1952 and after 1981 they became extinct after the British Thoracic Society stopped setting nurses exams
There are others such as Dundee Royal, Paisley Royal Alexandra Infirmary, Stirling Royal and East Fife. East Fife is unusual that it has 2 pi attachment s at the rear - one on the top bar and one on the lower shield. Other medal type include Plaistow Trained Nurses and the Saint Mary's Hospital Portsmouth.

wilfb

Hi,

Another nice one Sue - not many reply to the subject but there plenty of readers of these badge design topics. Now that your article is published on the main site you might even get less readers here!

If any vistors do not know how to find Sue's article on the main site, just click the link below:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Nursingbadges/Articles/Badgedesignx.htm

It's good!

SuzanneL

Only to say having worn a CXHmedal for several years i never managed to injure a patient with my badge on its ribbon nor did it interfere with my nursing duties. However my belt buckle has caused more damage, despite having taken great care in choosing one which has smooth edges!!
Luckily I now no longer have to wear a belt with my uniform.

wilfb

Hello Suzanne,

Welcome. Did you train at Charring Cross? Any chance you can upload your training school badge into your profile? If you have a photo and are in doubt let me know - I can do this for you - with your consent of course.  On the subject of phtographs - don't suppose you have one of your own PTS group?

And back to the topic in hand - I have correspondence with a gold medalist who many years ago was presented with the medal at the official prize giving - only to be informed bt the Matron that because it had a pin finding it was a hazard to patients!  Matron apparently retained the medal for safe-keeping!!

Perhaps I should have clarified - the gold medalist was not from Charring Cross.

A true story...

WB.

Sarah Rogers

Hi, and also true, when working inthe community i once had a DN manager say that i looked like a christmas tree!...i was wearing , with pride, My training school badge and DN institute one...plus of course a name badge!  The badges served to answer many  patients questions about DN training/ qualificatiosn required...their regular reply" oh so you are a proper nurse!
The manager was not known for her tact and diplomacy!
Lizzie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk