News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Nursing Memorabilia

Started by backman, August 26, 2016, 07:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

As some of you know I often spot items which are not nursing badges but still reflect the history of what was the Nurses and Hospitals world of times past. This item caught my eye ;http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Walker-Hall-Art-Deco-Solid-Silver-Liverpool-Nurses-Challenge-Cup-Trophy-/262594241700?hash=item3d23d624a4:g:AhEAAOSwRgJXkKCr
and it reminded me of a time when there were cabinets full of similar nursing prize cups in many hospitals and schools of nursing.I came across a trunk of such items in a hospital store cupboard a few years ago but they were probably destined for the smelter .One wonders who Walter Harding was and for what achievement the Liverpool Nurses Challenge cup was awarded,Sporting or Acedemic ?

wilfb

Gosh!

Like Peter I seem to be old enough to remember those glass cases (at Parkside they sat in the Hospital entrance by the porters room) absolutely full of highly polished cups and medals presented for various occasions to various staff. I say 'presented' as they probably only left the display cases for presentation or polishing.  Serious memorabilia at what today would be serious prices!!  But none - none that I know of anyway - were ever stolen!!  Magnificent collections which imbibed one with a sense of pride at being a member of the hospital staff.... But I wouldn't want the polishing - even the door knobs were 'brass'oed'....

Will. 

caro7b

At St Matthews hospital Burntwood we had "the lamp" from I think the Dame Anna Neagle film in a cabinet on of course, nightingale ward. (A non training ward us students weren't allowed to work on) Wonder what happened to it when they demolished the building...........

jock57

dont seem to see much around now. still look round . when our hospital closed a lot of stuff auctioned off.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk